Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Tighten guard screws, barrel pulls left, huh?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2003, 08:21 AM
Silver Member

Tighten guard screws, barrel pulls left, huh?

Hello, I noticed that when I swithched my 223 VS stock with the M24 stock on my 6mm, the 6mm fit perfectly in the VS stock unlike the way the VS fits in it, BTW, were talking the way it fits in the barrel channel, As far as The VS in the M24 stock goes, as soon as I start tightening the guard screws, it starts pulling to the left, leaving a slight gap on the left of the barrel channel and big gap on the right, pulling action out I notice on the rear left side of the recoil lug, the bluing is worn off more. I put my son's VSSF action in M24 stock, fits perfect also. What is going on here? What to do? Jay
Old 07-08-2003, 08:51 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Tighten guard screws, barrel pulls left, huh?

The fix is to bed it, but then you will not be able to switch stocks back and forth.
The problem is that the CNC machined bedding blocks are all alike. The actions are not since they are trown on a belt sander by hand before final finish. This means that they not all the same and are off in dimensions from one another.

I would pick which stock you want for which action and bed them both. That will cure your problem and probably help a little on accuracy.

Celt
Old 07-08-2003, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

Celt, You don't think the face of the reciever and recoil lug are out of wack? Remember, more bluing wore off on the left side of the lug, The reciever looks fine in the inletted area, when I take the action out of the stock, the reciever makes two nice concentric (contact) lines on the aluminum block of whichever stock I put it in. Jay
Old 07-08-2003, 09:53 AM
Writers Guild

Go with fixing the bedding as Celt suggested.

One size does not fit all in the firearms world.

Jerry
Old 07-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Silver Member

Jerry, I now tried the action in my son's VSSF stock, also. Thats three stock now, and the same result, pulls left in all the stocks I put it in, this is the only Rem. action that gives me any grief, I've got 5 in all, and the rest are a perfect fit, I'd think if the face of the reciever isn't square, maybe a few thousands off on one side, (The right side) that would pull the barrel to the left, hence the wear of the bluing on the left rear of the lug. If I were to bed it, it would still pull the barrel left, wouldn't it? Thoughts? Jay

[ 07-08-2003: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]
Old 07-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Bronze Member

The reciever face is certainely not true on a factory rifle.
Nost are out from .004" to .010" .010" being rare, but I have seen them.
This would make the lug look the way it does.
Bedding is still the answer other than truing the action, putting on a new barrl and bedding too.

Celt
Old 07-08-2003, 01:25 PM
Silver Member

Celt, When I send it back to Remington repair shop, they're going to say, Bad bed, we'll put a new stock and that should fix it, and we know that won't work, then what will they do? They're not going to bed it for me, will they? Hopefully they'll pull the barrel and check the reciever face and lug. Can you explain how bedding will help when it appears the bottom of the reciever is squarely sitting in the aluminum, like I said, two contact marks evenly spaced on the forward part of the block? If I would bed it so the barrel is straight in the barrel channel, then go to snug-up the guard screws, something's going to give. And it doesn't matter if I start with the front or rear guard screws, I can go half a turn and it pulls left. What do you think? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Jay