Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Throwing Extruded Powder: Pacts, Harrels etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2004, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

Throwing Extruded Powder: Pacts, Harrels etc

I have read all the previous threads about how slow to warm up, light sensitive, slow to trickle up a charge etc. Pacts new improved (came out mid 03) claims to cure all that. I would really appreciate hearing from those with THIS NEW model before dishing $280. I recently bought a new Harrels thrower and with extruded powder I am back trickling up charges just like with my old cheap thrower (actually it was better)as its accuracy throw-to-throw just isnt there.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:47 AM

Re: Throwing Extruded Powder: Pacts, Harrels etc

August.
I have the same set up. Harrell BR measure & Pact digital scale. Last year I purchased the old Lyman powder dispensing & weighing unit all in one unit. for the long extruded powder I love it. it is extremely accurate to + or - .1 grain ALL the time. Takes alittle while to get it set up but worth every penny. With the BR powder mesure (which I still like just not for the long stuff) I too was back to trickling out the weights. I have started long range NRA paper shooting with the 6.5 X 284 & use Lynman for this cartridge. I use the BR for my 223 across the course shooting iron. Wish I would have waited for the new Lynman digital unit that is out now.
Just my experience so far. Seems like I have to do everything the hard way.
Good luck.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Silver Member

I keep hearing glowing reviews of the Lyman combo Thrower/Dig.scale (model 1200) and VERY mixed reviews on the Pact combo. ANY OTHER REVIEWS PLEASE WEIGH IN and please indicate if your Pact is the newly revised model. THANKS
Old 01-16-2004, 02:23 PM
Silver Member

My pact is the two seperate peices (digital dispenser and scale w/ infrared eye) mine will throw a 95gr charge in ~30sec and is very accurate. Many times it will stop .1gr shy of the programmed load,..so you hit the dispense button until the .1gr is dropped. They recommended warm-up time,..but I have turned it on, calibrated, and gone to loading. This damn thing works like a charm and it has cut my loading time in 1/3s. WORTH THE MONEY

oh yeah,..it's the newer model.

[ 01-16-2004: Message edited by: JustC ]
Old 01-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

Thank you for the good replies. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Pact combo after the SHOT show (I want to make sure some new thing isnt out) As an addendum I was trickling up loads tonight with the old 10-10 scale and my $15 Lee powder thrower.....can't get over that the Lee throws just as accurate (with stick) as the $$Harrels and it never chops a grain. Thanks again