Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Throating ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 10:39 AM

Throating ?'s

Can somebody please explain "throating" a gun for a certain bullet. I'am in the process of building a rem700 300rum maybe edge maybe lapua not sure yet. Have heard alot of people talking about this!
Old 10-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: Throating ?'s

This is simply setting the chamber/throat up for the cartridge/bullet combo you want.
Make a dummy round with the bullet you want at the OAL you want and the smith will set up the throat to that spec.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockZ View Post
This is simply setting the chamber/throat up for the cartridge/bullet combo you want.
Make a dummy round with the bullet you want at the OAL you want and the smith will set up the throat to that spec.
Yep, it's that easy.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
Yep, it's that easy.

Jim,

What about angles to match ogives etc? Does that make any difference or is it even a consideration?
Old 10-31-2009, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

Something you might consider is your reloading technique. Some guys like me, only partial size their neck leaving a doughnut arount the base of the neck which fits snug into the neck chamber. I would have my thoat reamed to accomodate to the bullet I use to be about .010 off the lands and the base of the bearing surface of the bullet to be even with top of the doughnut in the neck. This allows max capacity in the case keeping the base of the bullet from encroaching into the case.

Hope that makes sense,

Mark
Old 10-31-2009, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Mark,

You talkin' to me?

Yep that's what I do except for the chamber throat part. However I'm going to talk to the smith about that even though I have no shortage of case capacity.

In my non wildcat chambers I partial neck size on caliber down and take what ever seating depth the chamber gives me. In the/my 338 RUM w/identical powder charges the partial neck size give about 20 FPS less velocity than a FL sized case. Thus I get to burn a little more powder for the same velocity.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Roy,

No, I was talking to Black Pearl not you. I figure you probably knew this a lot longer than me. Glad you answered though. What you said about loosing velocity is interesting. I just recently started partial neck sizing but in the past when I've seated bullets to fit the mag and then taken them out about 0.10 or so closer to the lands I noticed both a slight drop in velocity and pressure *with the same load* which I expected. I figured however, that I could slightly increase the load for a little more velocity with close to the same original pressure. It seems to make logical sense to me that increasing the case capacity decreases the powder to pressure ratio and increases velocity when you increase powder. Same principle as *Improving* a cartridge I would think?

So you used more powder, and got less velocity with the same pressure?