Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Throat issuses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 08:30 PM
Bronze Member

Throat issuses

Guys needing a little advice here. I just had a 6.5x284 chambered. And I told my smith I wanted to shoot 140gr. Bergers. I was looking in the Berger manual and the coal is 3.228. In my chamber with bullet touching the lands it's 3.085. I guess my question to you guys that know a lot more than me is will this effect anything other than case capacity or should I have my smith cut the throat to Berger specs?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: Throat issuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsewell View Post
Guys needing a little advice here. I just had a 6.5x284 chambered. And I told my smith I wanted to shoot 140gr. Bergers. I was looking in the Berger manual and the coal is 3.228. In my chamber with bullet touching the lands it's 3.085. I guess my question to you guys that know a lot more than me is will this effect anything other than case capacity or should I have my smith cut the throat to Berger specs?
Unless you supplied a dummy round for your smith to work off, how would he know what throat length to cut?
Just because Berger list a certain COAL doesn't mean that's what will work in your rifle.
Is your rifle a long action or a short action?
What length is your magazine?
Do you want to single feed or load from the magazine?

There are many variables that need addressing, and most smiths, like myself, don't have working crystal balls. Unless we're given all the info, we can't just guess.

Cheers.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

I helped a friend work up a load for his 6.5-284 last year. His OAL was far shorter than the 6.5-284 Norma sammi spec of 3.220" just like yours. It was put together to ber used as a hunting rifle using the magazine. There was no problem putting together a load and it was very accurate.

You can work with what you have unless want a repeater and you have a long action then you could have the gunsmith lengthen the throat.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Bronze Member

The gun is built on a long action receiver. Believe me guys when I say I'm not trying point a finger. I am just wanting to know is there any benefits to stretching the OAL to specs. Mainly group size, it shoots a 1" to 3/4" groups now. But it doesn't like a real hot load now.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The gun is built on a long action receiver. Believe me guys when I say I'm not trying point a finger. I am just wanting to know is there any benefits to stretching the OAL to specs. Mainly group size, it shoots a 1" to 3/4" groups now. But it doesn't like a real hot load now.
Try backing off the lands, some barrels like more free bore and I have seen rifles shooting Bergers like .080 to .100 jump to lands for best accuracy.

This will also lower pressure and increase velocity.

The rule is, there is no rule when it comes to what a barrel likes.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-28-2014, 10:37 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumManiac View Post
Unless you supplied a dummy round for your smith to work off, how would he know what throat length to cut?
Just because Berger list a certain COAL doesn't mean that's what will work in your rifle.
Is your rifle a long action or a short action?
What length is your magazine?
Do you want to single feed or load from the magazine?

There are many variables that need addressing, and most smiths, like myself, don't have working crystal balls. Unless we're given all the info, we can't just guess.

Cheers.
What?! No magic wand, either?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
should I have my smith cut the throat to Berger specs?
I wouldn't want it that long. That would make it about 2 inches from the base of the case to the back of the bearing surface. That's about .100" longer than I would want.

Your Gunsmith made it about .040" shorter than the maximum I would want. How long is it going to take for your throat to grow .040"?

Krieger says it can grow up to .030" during break in.