Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Threading a Needle - chronographing at 500 yards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2002, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

Threading a Needle - chronographing at 500 yards

Yesterday we did an interesting test. We found a cheap clay material that sets up like plastercine and made up about 75 pounds. We put the clay into grocery bags, ended up being 11 inches square and three to four inches thick (made a plywood jig to prepare them in). Then we built a stand to hold the bags upright and butted seven bags in a line, then put some big jugs of water behind them.
Next we set up one of my chronographs directly in front of the clay targets, then arranged a large steel plate in front of the Oehler screens to protect them. The plate was 2'x4' and we hung it from an old swing-set. Took about an hour to set this up.
We started off shooting from 500 yards with a very accurate Rem.700, 26" Mike Rock barrel and a Nikon 4x-16x tactical in Badgers and Nears. Wind was varying 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 minutes left to right. We managed to put five bullets through the Oehler screens and caught seven in the clay.
Bullets were the new Barnes 168 XLC and penetration was 30", impact velocity was 1763 fps and expansion was perfectly uniform with no weight loss - six bullets weighed 168.0 and one came in at 167.9. These bullets shoot extremely well, virtually no difference from the match bullets.
Repeated at 400 yds with 28" penetration and 1919 fps with the same retention.
Beautiful "mushrooms", just like in the ads. I haven't measured them yet but you can see that the 400 yd. bullets are slightly bigger in cross-ssection than the 500 yard mushrooms.
Bullet smack on impact was identical to hitting a game animal. This is good stuff to test bullets with. We need to find a metal detector, would speed up locating bullets a bit but we did not really have much problem as the bags were only 4" thick.
Thought you guys might find this an interesting little test, we plan on doing a bunch more. My partner shot very well, his rifle liked the XLC's and we got nice info.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:06 PM
Writers Guild

Re: Threading a Needle - chronographing at 500 yards

Ian,

Great test. Are you planning to repeat with other types of bullets like the Partition or Hornady SST, etc? Would be interesting to see how conventional bullets compare to the premium ones at these lower vel.

Nice to see that Barnes has taken their accuracy issues seriously. A great bullet that hopefully shoots well now too.

Keep us up to date...

Jerry
Old 09-30-2002, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Jerry,
I wish that I had stumbled onto the clay media last summer, we only have so much time left before it will be too cold to do this shooting.
No reason not to try as many bullets as possible, next on our agenda is to shoot the Barnes at 1,2 and 300. If all goes well I also hope to shoot and chronograph at 6 and 700, that will be about as far as we might get the bullets throught the screens. They are dropping at quite an angle.
This is burns a bit of time as you have to get the bullet shooting really well to ensure hitting through the screens.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

Like to see the same thing done with MK's. would be interesting to hear the results.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Great suggestion, would be neat to compare the wound channels with the Barnes for instance. We shot some 120 Sierras from a .25-06 into the clay and they blew a hole you could put your fist through - through the first two layers of clay, but they slipped their jackets and we found jackets and cores in a couple more layers deeper. This was at 500.
A guy could do this for a lot of bullets if I had enough help and the weather co-operated. Wind can make for interesting shooting, we do the shooter/spotter thing so that the spotter is watching mirage, wind and trace as close as possible.
Hitting the clay wouldn't be too bad but slipping through the Oehler screens is a good challenge. I have shot my screens and the camera tripods that I use to hold the screens so often that I have a good supply of spare parts. One bad shot can be 150 bucks down the drain pretty quick.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

EXXXXCCCCEEELEENNT TEST!!

2 QUESTIONS--What caliber?

Did the ballistic coefficient come out accurate--ie did you compare muzzle velocity to impact velocity on a ballistic program to see if they are over/underrated??

oops--question 3--some of the holes on xlcs seem pretty plugged with blue goop--did you clean any tips before shooting.

Thanks a million for the testing AND reporting. I have some of these on order right now.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

I'm guessing you were shooting a 308 win?
Don't know muzzle velocity but if it was about 2725 that would make the real coefficient about .420 which would be what they claim for their 150 xbt. (at least on my ballistic program)