Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Thoughts on using threadlock when mounting a scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2003, 12:35 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Thoughts on using threadlock when mounting a scope

I do what Headhunter does also, using the "blue" locktite on bases has worked for me for 20 some yrs. now. I never put anything on rings either.
Now maybe if one was going to be using a big cal. such as in the .400 class, then I would probably use the "red" stuff for the bases.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:56 AM

JB1000br.

Thanks for catching that. Yes, the bottom of the base needs to be roughed up.

Headhunter
Old 12-06-2003, 06:30 AM
Bronze Member

I bought some of that green locktite specfically made for scope mounting when putting a Leupy on my 300 Ultra. I'll tell it works. Nothing came loose. I regretted it when I changed the scope/base/ring combo however. I managed to snap the head off one of the base screws.Now maybe that wasn't all the locktites fault, I didn't have a proper torque wrench and might have been a little heavy handed. In my defense,however,this is far from the first scope I've mounted and I've never had a problem until I used the locktite. In future I will just torque the screws properly and be done with it.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:40 AM
Gold Member

Blue locktite on the base screws and I also put a drop of locktite on the center of the base before I sit it on the action. This bonds the base to the action. Do not use release agent. They stick together pretty good when you go to remove the base but that is the goal. Have not had any come loose.

Do not use locktite on the ring screws.

[ 12-06-2003: Message edited by: dwm ]
Old 12-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Bronze Member

Long time ago...at least 15 years ago...J.D.Jones of SSK fame gave me a tip which has saved agony several times. He recommended placing a tiny drop of the Wicking Loctite on the HEADS of the screws, after torquing them down properly. As he said, "life is too short for Loctite on the threads". Keeps them from vibrating loose, and at the same time is removeable without having to rethread the receiver. That wicking stuff is hell for stout...I do recommend keeping it off small clean threads.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

I wouldn't use Loctite on scope bases or rings for love nor money. I've never seen a screw back out when tightened properly. If the screws do back out, the base is not a good fit to the receiver. IF, IF I was gonna do it, I'd go with the last idea of the loctite on the heads of the screws AFTER they are in and tight.

My scope screws have grease on em...
Old 12-15-2003, 01:20 PM
Bronze Member

Chris lets look at Loctite: The problem is that the majority of people asking the question, do not read the instructions on a PARTICULAR LOCTITE PRODUCT. As far as this site goes on SCREWS, only BLUE Threadlocker is applicable; with torquing to the size of the thread screw being used. I use this product in the machine shop on several applications eg. bearing fit to shafts etc. But you have to read the application!!!!!