Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Thoughts on using threadlock when mounting a scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2003, 07:15 PM

Thoughts on using threadlock when mounting a scope

I've been told to use a little drop of threadlock on all the screws when mounting the bases and rings to a scope, however, I've also been told not to use threadlock, for the screws may not come off.

What are everyone's thoughts on this subject ... any suggestions/ideas, please share.

Thanks!

[ 12-04-2003: Message edited by: Maximus ]
Old 12-04-2003, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

Re: Thoughts on using threadlock when mounting a scope

I mount a bunch of bases and scopes in a weeks time. Primarily all Badger hardware. I use red LocTite on the screws and use it to "bed" the base to the receiver also. Torqued to Badger's specs(15 in. lbs)
I do not use any on the ring screws but I torque them to spec also. 65 for the crossbolt and 15 in. lbs for cap screws.

And they (LocTited screws) come out with no trouble.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

the answers to this post will be primarily be based on opinion,and u know the old saying,but in my opinion its not neccesary,my 2-dave
Old 12-05-2003, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

I don't, but my dad does both as Chris does, with red LT.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:33 AM

I use blue Locktight (removeable) on base screws only. I feel there is no reason in the world to put locktight on ring screws. Ring screw pressure will hold a scope in place even on big kickers like 416 Remington Magnums and such.

Another good thing to do in some cases is to "Bed" the bases to your receiver to ensure 100% contact. It is easy to do. Put release agent on your action and the underside of your bases. Put a dab of accraglass gel or other bedding and install your rings with Locktight. You can clean up any access bedding with laquer thinner and a Q-tip.

If you are worried about the bases shooting loose, you can have your receiver and bases re drilled and tapped to 8x40 screws. This is a good thing to do on heavy kickers even though I have ""Never"" had 6x48's shoot loose.

Headhunter
Old 12-05-2003, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Put release agent on your action and the underside of your bases. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he meant rough up the underside of your base---if release agent was on both you would jest get a chunk of loose glass.

RA on the action and hit the bottom of the base with sandpaper and degrease it. then tape around the outside edge on the base and bed it.

JB
Old 12-05-2003, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

I like to use fingernail polish, it's cheap and the old lady always has some around.
HeadHunter, I tried to send you and email and a private message but both were blocked. Would like to see where in MO you are located, I have a couple of projects I want someone to build.