Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Thoughts on Ruger Rifles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

Thoughts on Ruger Rifles?

I've never owned, or fired one, and I was wondering what I could expect from them? I'm considering a varmint/target model that they offer in 6.5 Creedmoor. That's assuming they actually get around to making them. I know they are notorious for putting up products on their website that they never get around to producing. My only other option for this round, or even a 6.5x47 Lapua, in a bolt action would to be custom. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Thoughts on Ruger Rifles?

Quote:
That's assuming they actually get around to making them. I know they are notorious for putting up products on their website that they never get around to producing. My only other option for this round, or even a 6.5x47 Lapua, in a bolt action would to be custom. Thanks
Not really, you can buy a savage 6.5x284 factory (Palma, BR or Fclass rifles) and set it back and rechamber to either the Creedmoor or 6.5x47.

They sell for about $950 (Northlander on www.savageshooters.com) and $175 for rechamber.

Saw a super nice custom 6br there for sale (PAHog was the seller)at $1200 with a 12 twist barrel and nice stock. Sell the barrel for $200-250 and buy new blank for $275 and chamber $175 and good to go with a complete custom rig. Or keep the barrel and just add another, as you can install/change them yourself with a simple barrel vise, wrench and go/ no go guages(under $100)

As for the Rugers, you will not see any of them on the firing line at serious comps. Enough said on that.

BH
Old 02-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

BH, i have to correct you about not seeing a Ruger from the firing line at a serious competition. i saw one in the garden next to the shooting range being used as a stake for a tomato plant.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

too funny dave LOL!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
BH, i have to correct you about not seeing a Ruger from the firing line at a serious competition. i saw one in the garden next to the shooting range being used as a stake for a tomato plant.
Are you saying thats all there good for. I would go with rem or maybe a savage. why dose it have to be the 6.5?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Bronze Member

ive got a ruger model 77 .44 mag and i like it pretty well. naver owned one in a bigger caliber but i would think they would be pretty good to.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

I would have to say that all of the Ruger rifles that I have owned or know about
were very well made and looked very good, "BUT" they are not known for there accuracy.

Mostly it has to do with the angled recoil lug design.It is very hard to bed and get good
results.

But the pistols are a different story they are good looking ,strong and very accurate.

I have owned many Ruger pistols and liked and trusted every one of them.

Just my opinion
J E CUSTOM