Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Thoughts and opinions.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Thoughts and opinions.....

Gentlemen,

I have a load for my rifle that I am concidering using this August for deer size critters that groups around 1/2 MOA with 47.5 grains of VARGET. The bullet is the 155 AMAX. 46.5 and 47.5 grains group .5 MOA However, 47.0 grains groups at 1 MOA.

My question is this: If I load my rounds at 47.5 and it the temprature cools off a bit is that going to act as if I had loaded 47.0 or does it have more to do with volume, harmonics ect... Any thoughts or experiances are greatly appreciated.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Thoughts and opinions.....

Meichele,

My first question is what process you used to determine the average moa of the three loads listed?

I would assume you took an average of at least three different groups and even better yet five group averages.

I agree with using the Hodgdon Extreme powders because of their stability in varying weather.

Varget is one og those powders so you should really not have much of a problem. Best thing to do though is to test your loads when the cool weather rolls around and confirm the actual results in such temps.

There are few things as accurate or consistant as actually shooting in the temps.

Good Shooting!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the reassurance guys.

I have fired several groups at 100 and 300 yards. The 47.0 is always 1 MOA +/- .1-.2 MOA. The 47.5 load averages .5 MOA. Both averages ar taken from 100 and 300 yards. Groups are 3 shot.

I am going to test again when it gets colder.

[ 06-07-2004: Message edited by: meichele ]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

i used to spend sept till mid dec in central saskatchewan chasing deer sized critters.i used to wonder the same thing except i was more concered with point of impact rather than group size.the cold weather can have an effect on POI.the colder it gets,the more it can affect the gun and i think the difference in burning temperature of the powder has the least to do with it.my temperature range i hunted in was +40 to -40.i always sighted in when the temp was in the 0 to -15 range.i was convinced the gun shot a bit lower in the colder (-20 to -40) temps.i used 1 more grain of powder in my 30-06 when it was -20 or colder.i don't know what temperatures you're talking about,but i've seen a lot of guys come into camp(i helped most sight in)and blame the handling of their gun from the air lines,on a POI change when it wasn't that at all.it was the temperature. my advice is to throw your gun and ammo in the freezer for a couple days and see where it shoots when it's cold. that 1/2 moa difference in accuracy is BFD compared to where will it shoot.

[ 06-07-2004: Message edited by: no.1 whitetail ]
Old 06-07-2004, 11:41 PM
Writers Guild

That is why I use the extreme powders from Hodgdon. I have found little to no difference in my drop table shooting in different weather with the same load.

Test for sure, but I expect you will not have any problems.

Have fun...

Jerry
Old 06-08-2004, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

That is a good observation! I have in the past left my rifle outside overnight in -20 degree air and fired groups. I am fortunate that at 100 yards my rifle will still hold its POI. The catch however, is that my loads were not cold. I do have a heavy barrel and that help tremendously with cold bore shooting. Thanks for the advice. I will next time leave the ammo out as well.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Well miahael, i just had to drop my 6.5-284 load .3 (H4831SC)to get it back in my sweet spot since the normal temp has gone up since early spring. (went from avg 2930 to 2975 in the summer weather.)

also i will have to bump my 175smk load up to 45.2 of varget instead of 45 because of lot differences -- make sure to test your lots if you happen to get new powder [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

JB