Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

thompson center pro hunter as a long range rifle ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

Re: thompson center pro hunter as a long range rifle ?

I tried a Bergara barrel (.243 Win) and am very pleased with it. The problem with the Encore for precise shooting, besides the foreend situation as discussed above, is that reloads have to be full length sized. The action is just not as strong as a bolt action and the cartridge tends to stretch as a result of the action "giving" when fired with all but the mildest of loads. So, one does not have the advantage of fire forming cases to your particular chamber with the Encore. Although fine for general hunting, I would not recommend the Encore for precision long range shooting, especially in the heavier calibers.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm76 View Post
I tried a Bergara barrel (.243 Win) and am very pleased with it. The problem with the Encore for precise shooting, besides the foreend situation as discussed above, is that reloads have to be full length sized. The action is just not as strong as a bolt action and the cartridge tends to stretch as a result of the action "giving" when fired with all but the mildest of loads. So, one does not have the advantage of fire forming cases to your particular chamber with the Encore. Although fine for general hunting, I would not recommend the Encore for precision long range shooting, especially in the heavier calibers.
I have necked sized in 22-250, .243, and 25-06 in my Encore with no issues.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

I can get by with it for 1 or 2 reloads at moderate velocities/pressure, but with hot loads it can cause problems. I have talked to several others that experienced the same problem. Mike Bellm also talks about this on his site someplace.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm76 View Post
I can get by with it for 1 or 2 reloads at moderate velocities/pressure, but with hot loads it can cause problems. I have talked to several others that experienced the same problem. Mike Bellm also talks about this on his site someplace.
I'll have to watch that in the future. I have not loaded most of my brass more than 2 or 3 reloads with neck sizing yet except the 22-250. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

i'm pretty sure Mike Bellm is the guy i was trying to remember yesterday. he puts any aftermarket barrel on your gun by cutting your barrel off about 3" from the breech, then drills and taps the ID of this 3" section to accept the new barrel.

i don't believe the break open actions to be the best platform for a long range gun.

i've always liked the "compactness" of the break barrels as opposed to the extremely lengthy guns that are normally used for long range hunting. i'm building one that is the best of both worlds. bolt action that is very compact.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Bronze Member

Location: Originally from WA, stationed in KS, heading to Missouri

Mike Bellm is a Guru when it comes to TCs..........

He kicks out lots and lots of good info and products.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmSendaro View Post
I'll have to watch that in the future. I have not loaded most of my brass more than 2 or 3 reloads with neck sizing yet except the 22-250. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks.
The break action is simply not as solid as a bolt action with its locking lugs. What happens is, as the action flexes ever so slightly upon firing, the hot brass of the case stretches to fill the void, allowing the case to exceed the head space of the cold chamber. If the case is already at or near the max head space dimension, while it may still be loadable in the chamber due to the caming effect of the action closing, after firing the case is jamed in the chamber and you will not be able to open the action. Therefore you will have to drive the pivot pin out of the action in order to open it and extract your case. You certainly do not want to have to do this on a hunt as your single shot rifle will truely become a single shot! Therefore, after firing a case, especially if it is a hot load, it is best (or necessary) to bump the shoulder back slightly each time.