Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Test medium to simulate scapula

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

Test medium to simulate scapula

I've read several of the old posts on knockdown power and whether or not you want an exit wound and I am not trying to start any major debates here. I would like to test out bullet performance to simulate a shoulder shot. Does anyone halve a testing mdeium they can suggest that simulates an animals shoulderblade? I've read about wet phone books, shooting lined up milk jugs and counting the number of jugs busted. Would a sheet or two of 3/4" plywood give simular resistance to a shoulderblade? I am thinking of an elk here not one of CA 100lbs blacktails [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] In the previous posts I remember a suggestion that 800 ft/lbs are required to break an elk's shoulder.

I would like to come up with a system to test at various ranges, I'm thinking a few inches of wet paper to simulate hide and muscle then the plywood backed up by more wet paper. Anybody have any better ideas? Perhaps one milk jug then some wood and more milk jugs. Problem with the jugs is that the bullet can cant off to one side and exit the side a of a jug without telling you much. I guess I could try to find cow bones from a meat processor?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Test medium to simulate scapula

What bullet are you wondering about? What would be the impact velocity?

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Silver Member

I shoot a 270 Win but that will hopefully be changing soon. Currently I use the 130 BTs for deer and 150 Partitions on pigs and would use it on elk as well although not at extended ranges. Supposedly Berger is working on a .277 VLD looking at the 6.5mm and 7mm VLD I would "ASSUME" a .277 would come in around 155gr. with a .64BC I would also like to try out the 150gr Wildcat RBBT. I think the 169.5 might be too heavy for the 270 Win. I am planning on going to a 270 Ackley with a 24" #5 fluted barrel in hopes of pushing these heavier bullet closer to 3000-3100fps. The above "ASSUMED" numbers for the .277 VLD would be right at 2000ft/lbs at 500 yards.

This is all besides the point though. I don't think you can pick your test medium depending on the bullet and velocity. You have to simulate what you want to shoot and what you hope the bullets performance will be. I'm curious if one of these bullets would be capable of smashing an elks shoulder blade and at what maximum distance. I imagine hitting the shoulder shot becomes more difficult precission wise before most of the larger magnums run out of the power to effectively smash the shoulder. I would rather test to see if a bullet is just going to come apart on the shoulder at 700 yards before I drove for two days just to wound an elk in Colorado. Thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Bronze Member

I'm not a Veterinarian nor am I an expert on terminal ballistics. However, I did grow up on a working ranch and I went to paramedic school a long time ago so I'll throw my BS opinion into this one...

For the most accurate testing media, your idea of getting some scapulas from a meat processing plant is probably on the right track. You will still have to pay for them because they sell everything...and I do mean everything...that comes off of or out of those cattle. They often have contracts to honor and don't want to "part out" stuff to off-the-street buyers. This will all depends on where you live and how big the processing operation is. You might also consider contacting some rendering plants or large animal Vets. Don't limit yourself to cattle either. Horse scapulas can be had as well. Be prepared to carve them out of rotting carcasses.

Scapulas and pelvises (pelvi?) will probably work fine for you although the pelvis of a cow is thicker than the scapula of an elk. Even so, you could saw the pelvis in half to get the best use of the wide parts. Elk hides are actually pretty tough as is the meat and gristle that lay beneath so that would have to be simulated as well. Depending on how expensive some uncured, raw, cow hides are, you could try some of those. If not, then some old rubber floormats from a '72 Ford LTD (or similar) might work too.

I'm thinking something like this:

From outer layer to inner layer....cow hide or rubber mat...a wet phone book at least 2" thick...cow scapula or pelvis. Use some wooden dowel rods and duct tape to keep it all in place?

Just a thought....

Doug
Old 11-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Doug I'll see what I can get.