Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Terminal performance and Meplat trimming?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Terminal performance and Meplat trimming?

Bign' I have had a lot of requests but I only make .308 currently. I plan on getting a few more out to various states and see how people respond. I get a REAL kick out of all the heated discussions and various opinions on long range hunting bullets. I'm convinced that the reason for it is, ALL of us are trying to do the best we can with a variety of bullets, NONE of which are designed solely for long range hunting. As I posted the other day, there are long range bullets and there are hunting bullets, but there are no "long range hunting bullets!.....Rich
Old 11-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

Long range hunters are kinda a tough group to satisfy, we want excellent long range terminal performance without blowing things in half at close range. I'm currently using Accubonds close and Bergers far, I was hoping to give the Bergers a better test but only shot a cow elk at 335 so not a very good longrange test.
I think one problem is there is a wide range of cals used here and what may function in one cal may not function in an other so to one guy they are great and another says they are crap and should not be used. We do not have uniformity across all cals and should not really expect it IMHO.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

There is some truth to the various caliber thing. Someone accurately pointed out the other day that a larger caliber has a better ratio of core to jacket. This does help expansion.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I think the trimmers would set the bullet the same, I may take some Bergers and try it and shoot some wet paper out at 1000yrd and see what difference it make. I can turn a tool out on a lathe.
This may be a moot point though, I see that there is a slight lose of BC so it's may be counter productive to try to make up for a slow bullet by slowing it down more, unless there is a marked terminal effect increase.
I have looked at the GS bullets but I shoot .277 cal stuff and it looked like they only have up to 130gr bullets with a .410 BC, which doesn't tempt me enough. If I shot some 30 cal stuff that 177hv looks like it would be the ticket. I'm awaiting the 169.5 Wildcat for my .277 stuff.

The resaon Meplats are uniformed is to try and eliminate vertical dispersion period----to try and open up the point any further is pointless and will be detrimental to accuracy. This will fall on many sets of deaf ears but it is a fact. I shoot 1K with several ballisticians and engineers (they will not do it in front of you on the phone but snicker about it in private) from 2 of the big 3 and they all concur that this activity is detrimental to accuracy.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

Sure are a lot of BR guys selling meplat trimmers I would not try to open up the hole but to give it more frontal area which will increase the resistance and get the ball rolling maybe a little better. If one can do that with only sacrificing a little BC that is OK but if accuracy tanks then that won't fly.
Only one way to measure if there is a terminal reaction to changing it, I kinda wonder if trimming even a couple thou would give the Bergers a more even, predictable terminal responce instead of the some work some zip through.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Sure are a lot of BR guys selling meplat trimmers I would not try to open up the hole but to give it more frontal area which will increase the resistance and get the ball rolling maybe a little better. If one can do that with only sacrificing a little BC that is OK but if accuracy tanks then that won't fly.
Only one way to measure if there is a terminal reaction to changing it, I kinda wonder if trimming even a couple thou would give the Bergers a more even, predictable terminal responce instead of the some work some zip through.
You are correct ---- look at a SMK under magnification (142 6.5's and the 250 and 300 gr 338's. Notice how the tips are not consistent by making them much more so it helps to eliminate V/D but does lower the B/C slightly which is no big deal when you learn what adjustments to make.