Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: Terminal Ballistics- Which do you prefer
Bullet passes through and leaves a gaping hole on the other side 21 46.67%
Bullet expends all of it's energy inside the animal and cause severe internal damage 15 33.33%
Bullet kills, cleans, and processes the animal exactly like you like it with no damage to the meat 9 20.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Terminal ballistics- Which would you prefer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Silver Member

Terminal ballistics- Which would you prefer

I hunt with a friend of mine that's been on the hunt for "the best bullet" for a couple of years. He likes his bullets to pass all the way through and leave a nice big hole for blood to flow out of. I shot an Axis our last hunt with my 7mm Rem Mag using a 168 Gr Berger VLD at 40 yards (it's painful to post sub 100 yard distances on a long range hunting forum but it is what it was). The bullet went through the front edge of the front shoulder, passed diagonally through the vitals, then stopped just short of exiting behind the opposite shoulder. We found him about 20 yards off of the sendero in thick mesquite. When we opened him up I was pleased with the damage. The deer was not the walking wounded... he was the walking dead. My buddy didn't like the fact that the deer didn't leave a good blood trail because it didn't have a big exit hole and massive external blood loss. FWIW his son borrowed a .300 Win Mag and had the same result on a bigger Axis with Remington factory hunting loads. He didn't like those results either.

The last option is for the optimists in the group
Old 12-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Terminal ballistics- Which would you prefer

I didn't vote yet. One choice does not describe the bullets I choose and prefer. My bullet of choice is a combination of 1 and 2 and it depends on the distance of the shot. I doubt any bullet can be described for consistent results unless the distance is the same for all shots. And even then the same bullet will differ depending on shot angle and placement.

Jeff
Old 12-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Silver Member

That's true... I was trying to keep it simple but ballistics isn't a simple topic.

I've had the same bullet / load combo rip right thru a white tail and knock the animal down almost literally in it's tracks at similar ranges.

To my way of thinking, if it's an average Texas deer and I don't have to hunt for it after the shot, I'm good
Old 12-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6158 View Post
That's true... I was trying to keep it simple but ballistics isn't a simple topic.

I've had the same bullet / load combo rip right thru a white tail and knock the animal down almost literally in it's tracks at similar ranges.

To my way of thinking, if it's an average Texas deer and I don't have to hunt for it after the shot, I'm good
Thats what I strive for. Tracking any animal is risky especially close to dark. I want them DOWN!! If I loose a couple pounds of meat it is way better than the entire animal.

Jeff
Old 12-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Gold Member

The same bullet will not react the same every time. It depends on the impact velocity and the placement of the bullet. I don't like to have to track an animal. My big game is white tail deer. I like to place the bullet in the front shoulder and aim to place it in the top 1/3 of the shoulder. That usually gets the spine as well as the lungs/heart. For under 3000 fps impact velocity I like Sierra and Nosler ballistic tip bullets. For the faster magnums like my 264 Win mag I like the Nosler Accubond because when you set up and plan for the long range shots Murphy shows up at 50 yards. The 130 gr Accubond leaving the muzzle of my 264 WM at 3350 fps does exit through the shoulders of a deer and does not blood shot half the deer either.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

I prefer the bullet to pass through, but as long as it does terminal damage to the vital organs sufficient to quickly put it down. Exit or no.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
I prefer the bullet to pass through, but as long as it does terminal damage to the vital organs sufficient to quickly put it down. Exit or no.
Hard to argue with that! Yet some will

Jeff