Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Terminal Ballistics Testing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Terminal Ballistics Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles A View Post
The Bullet Test Tube might be useful for comparing bullets, but like water it won't correlate to tissue.....

Roy, OIL???? grin......
I don't beleive that the point of these test is to corrolate to animal tissue and bone. I believe that these test were to determine if the HAT bullets will mushroom at all. In goodgroopers test he compared the HAt's to other bullets of known game performance and they mushroomed and the Hat bullets did not and in that reguard the tests are realivant IMHO. No the test will not give an accurate estimate of wound channel depth or diameter in actual animals but, that was not the intent of the test to begin with IMHO.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Bronze Member

i actually loaded a .308win down to theoretical .300WM 500 yrd velocities to see how they might expand. No, the rpms weren't there but i thought it would give me a good idea. the pvc still came apart quite violently. thats when i moved to steel pipe.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
"I don't beleive that the point of these test is to corrolate to animal tissue and bone. I believe that these test were to determine if the HAT bullets will mushroom at all. In goodgroopers test he compared the HAt's to other bullets of known game performance and they mushroomed and the Hat bullets did not and in that reguard the tests are realivant IMHO "
I understand that, however, as I stated in my first post- paper is not an adequate test medium. Some bullets that perform wonderfully in tissue, may perform poorly in paper, and vice-versa. If he wants to see if it will upset at all, he needs to shoot them in water....