Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Terminal ballistics of Lapua Scenar?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 06:34 AM

Terminal ballistics of Lapua Scenar?

Hello!
The question is told by the topic. Has anyone here shot deer or elk with 250grain Scenar -bullet in caliber .338WM or LM?
I guess the terminal effects of 250grain Sierra Match King are quite identical with Scenar since the structure of these bullets is very similar. So tell me what happens when this kind of bullet hits living tissue in different velocities(800m/s-400m/s). If someone has pictures, please share them also.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: Terminal ballistics of Lapua Scenar?

Whitetail,
Do a search and check out my post of "buck @406 doe @689" from a few weeks back. You will see a pic of a whitetail doe shot at 689yds with a 338, 250grn SMK. I have shot other whitetails at lesser ranges as well. "Bang, flop, dead." As for Lapua Scenar, I have shot them, but have never shot any game with them. They shoot well in my rifle(s) and seem to perform about the same as the SMKs, but the SMKs are much less expensive!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I know that the terminal performance of the 30 cal 155 SCENAR is not good. THEY DONT EXPAND on game unless you hit bones.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:50 AM

Thank you RDM416..
..and congratulations, very nice shot. I think Iīll try scenar. Itīs made in my home country and thus it is only a bit more expensive here than the SMK. Originally, scenar is not a game bullet so it is not designed to expand (altough hollow point makes it illegal to be used in military role according to Geneva convention).
More experiences are still wellcome..
Old 01-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

meichele - I was just thinking about trying the 155gr scenars. By looking at this post, http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...part=1&vc=1, I would tend to think they would expand easily.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the terminal effects of 250grain Sierra Match King are quite identical with Scenar since the structure of these bullets is very similar

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, they have quite different designs. The MK's have a very small cavity underneath the hollow point and the Scenars have a huge cavity. Also, the lead core inside is shaped differently on top in the Scenar. For what this shape is for I haven't quite figured out but it is notable.
Here is a pic I took after sawing the MK, Scenar, and Accubond in half:

Also, obviously I haven't measured every caliber and weight of either bullet, but on the 338 caliber, <font color="blue"> the Scenar puts the MK to shame in every category of consistency. </font> They are better in weight, better in length, and better in meplat flatness. I have measured countless types of bullets throught the years and can honestly tell you that the 250 grain .338 Scenar is the best bullet I have ever measured from lot to lot.

As for how they perform on game, I have never shot a big game animal with either but I will be soon. I will be putting the 300 grain MK to the ultimate test in a few days, and the Scenar will be sinking into critter in a couple months. I will be sure to share with you my findings.

Have a good one. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:21 AM

Thank you goodgrouper!
I wasnīt aware of that difference in nose cavity between SMK and Scenar.. Looking to the picture iīd like to think that Scenar expands much better in impact. Itīs just that I have experienced that long, boat-tailed bullets often tend to fall into wild twist when they meet flesh and thus the final result is not well predictable. If Scenar really opens up, it might run straighter and "smoother" trough the animal than other bullets of that kind. Very interesting, this needs field-testing..

Good shooting there and keep me informed!