Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Tech info on Bergers new 338 caliber 300 grain Hybrids

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Tech info on Bergers new 338 caliber 300 grain Hybrids

For those interested in this bullet, please see our blog article which gives an overview of the new bullets features and performance.

A more in-depth ballistic analysis can be found here

Eric Stecker presents a video update on Bergers home page regarding the release of the new bullet:

For ordering information, please call our tech line at (714) 447-5458

Please contact me if you have any questions regarding the information in the material linked above (bryan.litz@bergerbullets.com)

Thank you,
-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 05-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Tech info on Bergers new 338 caliber 300 grain Hybrids

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl135 View Post
For those interested in this bullet, please see our blog article which gives an overview of the new bullets features and performance.

A more in-depth ballistic analysis can be found here

Eric Stecker presents a video update on Bergers home page regarding the release of the new bullet:

For ordering information, please call our tech line at (714) 447-5458

Please contact me if you have any questions regarding the information in the material linked above (bryan.litz@bergerbullets.com)

Thank you,
-Bryan

What is your gut feeling about how this bullet will perform terminally in various hunting scenarios compared to the more proven VLD design?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 05-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

My 'gut feeling' is that they'll perform similarly to VLD's in other calibers. If they don't fragment/expand the same, they will destabilize/tumble on impact, which is another way to increase frontal area (as opposed to mushrooming) and cause a lot of damage. Regardless of what it does, it's 300 grains of metal that carries a lot of energy. Look how lethal the SMK's are and they're not designed for terminal performance at all.

Berger's official position is that these bullets should not be used for hunting animals until they're properly tested on appropriate media and proven to be suitable.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Bryan, I was on the Berger site last night looking at the updates, I really like how you guys are keeping us shooters informed with what is going on, I don't know of any other company doing anything like this and just wanted to say Thanks!

I promised my self to have a 338 barrel by the time these bullets came out but no dice, I get to sit and watch. I may order a box just to sit on the self to taunt me till I get that barrel!

Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Bryan, keep up the good work!!!!

I did enjoy reading the links you posted.

Thanks!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 05-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Bryan,

I notice in the .pdf file above that you list some differnent G1 velocity banded bc's for the 300SMK than what I calculated (perhaps incorrectly) using your book. How did you arrive at a .824 for above 3K?

Sounds like there some variation in testing?

Thanks,

Jon

EDIT: You may want to double check the order of bullet manufactuer listed for the numbers tables below the bar graphs in the 'Retained Energy' and 'Trajectory' graphics.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 05-05-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Jon,

Thanks for pointing out the errors in the tables, I've corrected the order of things and the new report is posted at the same location.

I've tested .338's on only two occasions so far. The results of the first test are published in my book. The results of this second test that included the Berger produced a result that was 4% higher for the SMK than the first time it was tested. Normally my tests are repeatable within 1%, but that seems not to be the case this time. I know that it's harder to accurately measure the BC of a higher BC bullet than a lower BC bullet because of how little velocity is lost, and that's probably the reason for the 4% discrepancy. Honestly I don't know which result is more accurate, the original test or the latest test. The 4% error in BC causes an error in predicted drop of 5" at 1000 yards. I'll be re-testing at some point to try and figure out which result is closer to reality.

-Bryan