Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Target Knobs vs Clicks vs Alt. vs Temp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Target Knobs vs Clicks vs Alt. vs Temp

I don't agree with the DON'T THINK - JUST SHOOT AlOT approach. In my view, you'll learn far more thinking than shooting. You can learn what works and what don't right up front, by reading books and searching forums. This includes understanding what affects POI. All without spending a dime, or taking a shot.
Your question HERE is not an indicator of more shooting needed. It's an indicator of more learning needed, and your willingness to do just that.

Shooting is easy. Understanding the whats, wheres, and whys of it is hard work.
Don't believe me? Try it.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I agree with you MikeCR. Many things Ive learned were from reading or talking with others. Many things have had me scratching my head for months or even years untill some research made it oh so clear! Thats not to say that practice isnt important. Its hard to replace raw experiance, but it is about equally important to understand why things happen as you stated.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with the DON'T THINK - JUST SHOOT AlOT approach. In my view, you'll learn far more thinking than shooting. You can learn what works and what don't right up front, by reading books and searching forums. This includes understanding what affects POI. All without spending a dime, or taking a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do as much of this as anyone.. read, search, post , ask questions etc.
I have as many gadgets as the next guy and rely heavily upon the palm and a-trag system.
My point is you cannot get good and accurate without shooting. You can't rely upon a knob to do you work. I don't care how much you read, learn and ask questions if you are not out shooting ... you'll never get good.. PERIOD
Old 10-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Ric
I didn't mean anything negative, and I completely agree with you on the limited merits of BDC.

I guess I'm just overly sensitive to any balking of technology or non-traditional approaches. I hear BR shooters and weekend gong hitters implying that ballistic programs don't work. Gotta carry a log. Stability calcs aren't "real", just shoot faster.

It's like racecar drivers(amature or professional)implying that volumetric efficiency is hogwash. Just drive.
Yes, some actually play a roll in their engine design. But not many. And you and I won't learn it going roundy-roundy.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Writers Guild

Ric, you know what the worse part of all this is?????

Once we get all the bugs worked out, feel completely confident in the rifle, load and drop table...

We have burnt the barrel out [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Jerry
Old 10-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

I shot long for several hours today. My partner wanted to check the drops that we shot this summer in anticipation of the upcoming hunting season. Just like you mentioned, all of his drops were out by about one MOA from the summer numbers. Wish I knew what caused the change but it happens.

I just got a PDA with the Nightforce Ballistics program in it (Exbal), trying to make it field practical for deals like this.

I agree with you, pull the trigger, keep good notes, learn from these situations and shoot better from the experience gained. We need good equipment, good marksmanship skills and knowledge to gain the confidence to shoot long. I expect that the second two are more important than gear when you consider the incredible shooting that has been done with marginal rifles and cartridges in the past.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I think Jerry hit the nail on the head. I have one barrel for my 300 RUM that by the time I get things perfected the barrel will be dead. I am having another barrel made for it, as identical as possible and hopefully at least I will know which bullets and powders it shines with! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] That way I dont have to spend near as much time burnig the bbl.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.