Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Target crowns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Bronze Member

Target crowns

What is it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Does it have and impact on accuracy? I have a remmie 700 sendro in a 308. Right now my best groups are about 1 1/4 @ 100yds with 44.5 of Varget Win brass and primers with 165 SST and Balistic tips. OAL is 2.8.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Target crowns

Target crowns come in various designs but are nothing more than a way to end the barrel at the muzzle. Their purpose is to protect the riflings and release the bullet evenly. The most common crown you hear about is the 11 degree crown. It was thought to be the most accurate at one point but it has pretty much been proven any crown is accurate as long as it is cut straight and true. Most bench rest crowns nowdays are being cut flat, straight across. THis doesn't protect the riflings as much as a countersunk crown, but for BR, you aren't going to be packing the rifle through the woods so there's really nothing to damage it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I personally like a countersunk crown for hunting rifles, but if you have a muzzle break you are in little or no danger of getting to the riflings.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:40 PM

Having a good riflesmith cut a new "target crown" on your barrel will probably improve your rifles accuracy-mabye even quite a bit. If there are any tooling marks left on your barrel's crown(its common w/ factory barrels), your rifle's accuracy will almost always suffer. Its also a quick and inexpensive procedure so if it doesn't help, you havent wasted much $. I may be wrong but I think the gunsmith I use charges $70. Good Luck, Drew Stuart
Old 10-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Bronze Member

Goodgrouper

So the crown protects the rifling and makes the end of the barrel perpendicular to the rifling. I assume that this makes the gases exit the barrel evenly, thus not disrupting the flight of the bullet.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Bronze Member

D.S.
The end of my barrel does have tool marks where it was turned. When I shoot 5 shot groups I consistently get 3 in a bug hole and 2 are out, but as you said it isn't that much $ to spend
Old 10-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

If a recrown doesnt help, maybee try 168 and 175 SMK, 178 AMAX, RL-15 or 4064IMR along with federal gold medal match primers and lapua brass. Also 1 thing that might make a huge differance is 2.825-2.830" OACL depending on what your magazine will allow. 2.825 will work for sure and some BDL's will allow 2.830".
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Bronze Member

meichele
I haven't tried any different lengths yet. I am waiting for my Sinclair bullet comparator so I can sort my loads to the same length to elimate another variable.