Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Tapered Base use in Ballistic Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Tapered Base use in Ballistic Software

I have a couple different kinds of ballistic software and now need to get a mobile version. I have quizzed a company on the inclusion of tapered bases in calculations and one is working on it to be included. Another company says the use of tapered base is of no consequence for any software. Does anyone have any ideas on this subject. If none of this is needed then how measure scope height?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: Tapered Base use in Ballistic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbill View Post
I have a couple different kinds of ballistic software and now need to get a mobile version. I have quizzed a company on the inclusion of tapered bases in calculations and one is working on it to be included. Another company says the use of tapered base is of no consequence for any software. Does anyone have any ideas on this subject. If none of this is needed then how measure scope height?
I am assuming you mean because the actual sight line slopes to the barrel and is less
than at the objective lens? If you need to be that accurate in your calc. just plug in
the numbers to your calculator and sin it. It's a triangle.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

Im putting a 50 MOA base on my 50 BMG and one company said that a tapered base like this won't affect my calculations. Do you agree?
Also are you telling me how to get scope height for calculations? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:00 PM
SPONSOR

Worrying about this is like worrying about if you're ranging the target from the muzzle or the scope turrets (difference of less than 1 yard). In other words, can you determine range to less than 1 yard uncertainty? If so, the difference in drop will be much less than 1 click.

I think that's what they mean when they say it doesn't matter; less than 1 click effect.

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 01-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for info. I'm going to work up a load for my 7mm mag this winter with your 180 grain Match Hunting VLDs. Do they work? LOL I will shoot a couple elk and several deer next fall with them. thanks again.