Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Taming a 7mm Rum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Taming a 7mm Rum

The brake I use on my 300 RUM is desighned so the gases leaving the muzzle and brake are still traveling away from the shooter. It does increase the noise a measuable amount but not a discernable amout to the shooter. It also does not hammer anybody beside me at the range. I also use hearing protection at the range and I dont worry about the one or 2 shots I fire during the season. I could also imagine while setting up for a LR shot on game plugging my ears with some plugs.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the tip about the plugs around the neck---I'll try it! I usually wear a set of Pro Ears Stalker while in the field but occasionally I don't.

How about taming the recoil though?

Thanks, Pat S.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

db,

How do you pipe in the music? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The first time I hunted with a new (mag-na-ported) Ruger SRH in 454 Casuall I wore plugs, on a neck band, around my neck so that they would be right there when I needed them. I was a bit apprehensive of firing that gun even once without hearing protection.

As it turned out, once I got within range of the game, I was concentrating so hard on making a good shot that I forgot to put the plugs in. Fortunately, it did not cause a noticeable problem. I would imagine that a braked, magnum rifle would not allow you to make that mistake without consequences.

VH

[ 11-13-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]
Old 11-14-2004, 12:59 AM
Gold Member

VH,

Actually these muffs have the option of radio use. You can even hook them up to a two way. I know what you mean by focusing on the shot, but your ears are still being assulted by the sound it's your brain that is ignoring it. Gunfire can damage your hearing, no reason to have that happen.

db
Old 11-14-2004, 04:05 AM
Silver Member

Pat I have a KDF brake on my LSS in 7mm Mag it knocked off half the recoil no BS it feels like a 243 now it is very effective. Muzzle blast and noise went up considerbly its kind of a trade off. I use the roll up ear plugs and muffs at the range. I don't use anything in the field 1 or 2 shots won't kill you.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:22 AM

I've got a 7mm mag with a brake on it. A few years ago I shot 5 coyote with it all in a row..... without ear plugs. Ever since that day, it's sat in the corner of my room collecting dust. Damn thing is just too loud too shoot without plugs and I don't hunt with plugs. I remember thinking to myself at about the third shot, "Damn, that hurts." It was a different feeling, one that actually hurt your ear drum, down deep. It's a lot louder than a non-braked 7mm RAU.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:17 PM

Michael, what kind of brake have you got?