Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Taking animals with long range target bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 10:07 PM

Re: Taking animals with long range target bullets

I guess I'm mainly worried most about the 95-105gr. Reloaded options. Choices for 6mm. I figure the military uses 168-178 grain 308 fmj with good success. 270 gets 150gr fusion Berger or 165 matrix. 308 168gr. And with a 7rm or 300wm it doesn't matter what it is it's going down.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:27 AM
Gold Member

I dont have any experience with the smaller bores. But would be a bit nervous using 24 or 25 cal match bullets. Seems like when you step up to 7mm or 30 cal you can get away with stuff you cant in the smaller bores
Old 07-14-2013, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member

I believe that you do have a greater margin of error with the bigger bores using non bonded style target bullets. With smaller bores I like to use the heavy for caliber bullets and not go too high for velocity if my shots cover shorter as well as longer distances. I use my 6.5x284 with 140Bergers and JLK's at 2950-3000FPS. This velocity range gives solid performance on game from 50-1000 yards. If these bullets are pushed a couple of hundred FPS faster you get extended range, but they tend to come apart if contact is made on bone at the shorter distances and penetration suffers. Being primarily a deer hunter I can get close and far shots. I worry less about this with the heavier calibers. IMO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 07-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Bronze Member

If your only hunting whitetail and smaller I really wouldn't worry about it even with the 243 just stay away from lighter varmint bullets with most brands 85gr and up. but if you really are worried about it there are plenty of hunting bullet that will shoot good out there. To name a few: nosler BT, nosler CT, hornady SST.

I have also personally used 107gr SMK and 105gr Amax bullets on whitetail and DRT results

If you haven't started working up loads yet try varget in the 243 for the bigger bullets. I used varget and 95gr nosler CT bullets to get groups in the .2's from a factory savage rifle .
Old 07-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Gold Member

If you use the 105gr Bergers in the 243 and find the highest velocity node your gun will allow, they will offer plenty of downrange energy. I have been surprised that the 105 and even 95gr VLD's penetrate half way through a 1/2" piece of 410 stainless steel plate at 300 yards. They make a much deeper impression than a 175gr SMK at the same range from my 308.

As others have said, shot placement is key. I don't believe there is a bullet out there that can compensate for a bad hit. Once you have a good hit, I personally doubt that 1 bullet vs another is really going to have a substantial effect on the outcome. Now if you are facing down an elephant/Cape buffalo at 30 ft, I might want to have the best bullets money can buy but most of us will never be in that situation.