Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Taking animals with long range target bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Taking animals with long range target bullets

I going to be reloading for long range paper and just for fun to shoot groups. But I like to eat hogs and whitetail. Every center fire rifle I own has either put meat on the table or is capable of it. I don't really want to work up a load for paper and one for hunting and haft to worry about rezeroing. Calibers in question will be from 243 to 300wm. Bulets something along lines of bergers which brings questions up of will the target bullets in there line take game. And hornady match and AMax line. Just looking to keep things as simple as possible.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: Taking animals with long range target bullets

I know of about 300 different whitetails, hogs and elk that my family has killed in the last 4 yrs that would say unfortunatly yes.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

If you shoot Berger VLD bullets, their target models should have an identical POI as their VLD Hunting bullets. I know mine do @ 100 yards.

Hope this helps. They're the only brand I know that has both target and hunting models of the same exact bullet. Difference being the target models have a thicker jacket because shooting paper and steel you won't be needing any of the expansion properties.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

Non of the animal I have ever shot with either one could tell me the difference between the target and hunting version.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:26 PM

So all bergers kill got it. But what about the hornady bullets tho? And even in a 243? When it comes to a 7rm or a 300wm anything is effective. Does this hold true to even the smaller calibers?
Old 07-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Leave game with small caliber....I'd go with hunting bullets for maximum energy and expansion.

For example, when I hunt whitetails, I use Nosler 110 Accubonds and Berger 115 VLD Hunting bullets.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.

Last edited by MudRunner2005; 07-12-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

It will not matter as long as shot placement is good, the Amax is a good bullet and should work for you.