Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

T/c Prohunter Wildcat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 05:45 PM

T/c Prohunter Wildcat

Has Anyone Played Around With The T/c Prohunter, 28" Stainless In .300wby?
Have Been Wanting One Of These For Ages, Very Hard To Come By Here In Oz, Was Also Thinking Of One In .270wby.
As They Dont Come In The Weatherby Cals, Can Anyone See A Problem With Rechambering A .270 Or .300 Win Mag?
Your Thoughts Would Be Greatly Appreciated, Thanks

Line It Up, And Smack It Down
Old 12-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

You should have no trouble if the smith does the job right. The worst part of the deal is the brass. Wby. brass is very high priced and does not last long. Your increase in velosity will be 100 fps. or less and in my oppenion not worth the extra trouble and expence.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:49 AM

Thanks For The Reply, The Reason Behind The Weatherby Is I Already Have Dies And Heaps Of Brass.
I Was Mainly Interested In Can The Win Chamberings Be Recut To Weatherby.
Also, Have All You T/c Owners Out There Had Good Accuracy, Or Am I Gonna Have To Invest Heaps To Get One To Shoot Right?
Any Opinions Are Welcome, Thanks
Old 12-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

encore rechamber

Get a hold of JD Jones at SSK industries. The site is Mr He does nice work, and probably does more rechambers than anyone.
wk
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, who's face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt
Old 12-08-2007, 09:45 PM
SPONSOR

I would watch out for some of the super magnums in the TC. If i remember correctly TC themselves wont do any WSM's or Ultra Mag rounds because they consider their barrel shank to small. I have heard of few blown up bbl's from people who chambered them in to large of rounds in the TC! I dont know how true all of it is but i would definantly get some expert opinions on the stuff before you proceed. Just cause somone will chamber a TC bbl for ya in one of the really big rounds dont mean its safe.

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 12-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Bronze Member

Look at Match grade machine , they make great barrels for the encore and do custom smithing on T/C ,s. Check out they're website I think it's " matchgrademachine.com" . They do really good work. Call them they would be glad to chat with you on the phone and work out you problems.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Gold Member

Go the 300

Hi go with the 300 as the 270 will require extractor modification and basicaly the 300wby was designed to be able to rechamber existing 300Win Mags.

As long as you don't chamber over the base diameter of the standard belted mags you are ok. the 300wby has the same back thrust and just load it to the same pressure as the 300Win mag. I would have it rechambered in a 300H&H AI so the Wby factory ammo is not used if you go with the Wby cartridge make sure you have the factory freebore or you will have pressure problems.

If you need a gunsmith to do it I can put you onto an ADI trained gunsmith.

Cheers Bill
Australia