Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Switch barrel advice needed please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Switch barrel advice needed please.

I am looking into getting a single shot, switch barrel rifle made up on a Lawton 8500 action. The barrels are going to be in .339 Edge and .375 Chey-Tac calibre.

Questions :

Do the threads on the barrel tennon need to be lubricated to avoid wear and galling?

What tension do they need to tightened up to?

Can barrels be changed over without the need to remove the rifle from the stock?

Will the scope need to be removed to switch barrels?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Switch barrel advice needed please.

I have a couple of 'switch' barrel rifles. I typically dont use them as switch barrel but it is nice to be able to take them apart and have them go back together easily.

My 338 Edge has two barrels. 1: 300 RUM and 338 Edge. I dont switch to the 300 anymore but I use to.

As far as removing the stock it largely depends on what contour you use. Obviously a cylindrical barrel wont need stock removal. My 300 and 338 barrels are similar to the M24 contours and the stock does NOT need to be removed to switch them. If you use a douglas or sendero style taper or similar, you will have to remove the stock to switch barrels. Or a very steep straight taper for that matter depending on how wide a barrel channel is in the stock. For M24 contours you can maintain a fairly tight channel and still switch barrels without stock removal. Even if you did have a sharp taper by the breach, I assume you could have some stock material removed forward so you would not have to remove the stock.

As far as the scope, again it will depend on contour and scope height. For straight tapers you will not need to unless there is only a few thousands clearence and the objective is way out there in frot of the action. If you have a sendero style or similar and the scope bell is ahead of the radius and you have low clearence, you will have to remove the scope. As long as you keep good clearences, you dont need to remove the scope. I did however one time scar my sun shade by bumping the threads against it so be carefull.

Not sure about lubing the threads. I never did and did not have a problem but not sure if you are technically suppose to or not.

Keep in mind when using two barrels of different calibers that the different cartridges need to share the same size base for the bolt face or you need two bolts. One for each style case. Also, feed rails for a given case diameter can dictate how well the rifle will feed a cartridge of a different caliber if used as a repeater.

Hope that helps!

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.

Last edited by Michael Eichele; 02-14-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Switch barrel advice needed please.

Michael,
Thanks for the advice.
Looks like I will need a straight taper barrel and suitable clearance for the scope.
With the two cartridges that I have chosen I will also need two bolts that will be ordered at the same time I order my action.

I have a private range so when I need to change barrels it will be a simple matter to check that the rifle is in good zero before a hunt.