Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

swift scirricco internal damage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: swift scirricco internal damage

I hit this deer somewhere around 200yds and my X-bolt sends the bullets @ 3215 fps.

I shoot 300gr Otmīs out of my .338 EDGE @ 2715 fps and the entry and exit wounds are very small for my taste. I took down a doe @ 170yds and the exit wound was a little under 1". It ran away about 80-90 yds even though internal damage was quite impressive.
Also took down a buck @ 350yds with it. This one dropped on itīs tracks and same there. No noticeable entry wound and under 1" exit.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
swift scirricco internal damage-img_0645.jpg   swift scirricco internal damage-img_0649.jpg  

Old 07-03-2013, 07:12 AM
Gold Member

prieto it looks like the shot was a bit high and even might have hit the back bone. About any bullet is going to tear up meat placed like that. Id bet if that shot was only 4 inches lower there would have been little to no meat damage.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioq View Post
Runner,

I'm about to start loading for my 257. I may need some of your expertise on it if you don't mind. I have some Bergers and Barnes. No accubonds.
I just polished and sized some brass so I will start soon. Interesting, I resized the brass and felt nothing in the press when sizing factory 1 time shot rounds. Is that normal??
ALS what powder you using?

Thanks

Mario

Ps. Nice STw on the site!!!
I certainly wouldn't call it expertise.....But I'll defintiely help where I can.

I love the 110 Accubonds, and they are awsome on whitetails.

I am going to shoot 1 or 2 with the 115 VLD's this year to see how they perform on them.

Not sure what's goin on with your dies if you didn't feel anything... Are they set deep enough.

I have used 19, 22, and H1000, but I have found that I really tend to prefer H1000 in all my magnum calibers.

I am not mistaken I am using 70.0gr of H1000 behind the 115 VLD's, and I have them seated to about 0.005" shy of the internal magazine length. Since mine is a Weatherby Accumark rifle, it has lots of freebore so the only advantage to seating depth is that it allows me to load a little hotter to relieve pressure on the case.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prieto9000 View Post
I really wanted to like the sirocco II bullets, but my 7mm Rem Mag X-Bolt just donīt like them. Group Sizes go from 1.5"- 2Ļ@100yds. I switched to Hornady InterBond and shoot consistently 0.75Ļ- 1Ļgroups.
As far as internal damage, never shot a deer with the swift bullets, but Interbonds perform really nice. The last deer I shot ran about 25 yds but I canīt explain myself How in the world did that happened. There were pieces of lung and heart all over the spot where I shot him.
I've had heart shot travel 75 yards after being hit. its all about how excited they were before being shot.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:46 AM
Silver Member

Load is 150g sciroco 7mm mag, 68 g RL22, 3280 fps, Browning a bolt2 26" brl. 3/4 groups. I have killed around 15 elk with it. Furthest at 500. Bullets have entered with1/2 hole exited with 1.5" hole out to 500. If I hit large bones the bullets stop. I have recovered 2 with great expansion. Most are through and through.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:03 AM
Silver Member

I just loaded some 130gr SSII for my .264 win mag. Lets see if the rifle likes them. Hopefully I can try them on game this season. If groups are not at least 1" Iīll switch to HIB too. So far my .243 win X-Bolt seems to like the 90gr SSII but never tried them on game either.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:42 AM
Gold Member

Im not really a fan of either. I do use tssx bullets in a couple of my rifles but i use them in them because they shot so much better then any other load not because i think i need them. For the most part id prefer using a cup and core bullet in those guns. As to scirriccos ive wasted my money on probably 10 boxes of them and ive shot them in just about every gun i have in the safe and never found a load in any of them that was really exceptional. Most were down right bad. I gave up on them last year and wont buy another box. there just to expensive to buy and find out they wont shoot in a gun.