Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Sweets 7.62 causing 1st shot flyers????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Silver Member
Re: Sweets 7.62 causing 1st shot flyers????

Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
Am I the only one on earth who fouls his bore with oil in it? I hear the above comment very often. What is the reasoning behind it? I have shot hundreds of foul shots in an oiled bore and the primer ALWAYS shows signs of less pressure than without oil, the chrony reads much less velocity than the rounds for score AND I get much less copper fouling on that first shot than when I foul without lube. Why would anybody run a bare copper bullet in a bare steel bore without either lube or powder fouling?
The reason you should run a dry patch through to remove excess oil is because oil does not compress. A bullet can press the oil against the barrel bore with enough force to cause the oil to dent the inside of the barrel. I have seen bore scope pictures of bores that were dented by oil.