Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

Swarovski EL 10x40 rangefinder

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-02-2014, 02:18 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 288
Swarovski EL 10x40 rangefinder

Was looking at these guys and wanted some feed back from guys that have them. Likes dislikes. And the big question what is the max distance where the angle compensator works.

Ya just noticed this is in the wrong section. I'm all thumbs.

Last edited by Firearrow; 05-02-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: One of the Commonwealth's
Posts: 265
Re: Swarovski EL 10x40 rangefinder

I just bought a set. Have only used them around the house. I am getting reading out to 800 yards on small targets. This is the farthest I can see from my deck. I bought them because I am running Z5's and Z6's on my rifles. I looked at Zeiss which I found to be bulky and heavy. I very much liked the new Leica but I don't need the load able ballistic data option. I have yet to be on a step incline to play with the inclinometer. Compared to a pair of Leupold golden ring (10 years old) they blow them away. The glass is incredible and the rangefinder is a joy to have in the unit. No more losing the animal as you switch from bino to rangefinder. You won't be sorry. Someone had a set on here last week for 2550! Retail is 3179 and cheapest I found them was 2970. Bought mine as a demo unit from the sample list for 2625 shipped.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 288
Re: Swarovski EL 10x40 rangefinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharfo View Post
I just bought a set. Have only used them around the house. I am getting reading out to 800 yards on small targets. This is the farthest I can see from my deck. I bought them because I am running Z5's and Z6's on my rifles. I looked at Zeiss which I found to be bulky and heavy. I very much liked the new Leica but I don't need the load able ballistic data option. I have yet to be on a step incline to play with the inclinometer. Compared to a pair of Leupold golden ring (10 years old) they blow them away. The glass is incredible and the rangefinder is a joy to have in the unit. No more losing the animal as you switch from bino to rangefinder. You won't be sorry. Someone had a set on here last week for 2550! Retail is 3179 and cheapest I found them was 2970. Bought mine as a demo unit from the sample list for 2625 shipped.
Thanks for the reply. Will be keeping my eye open for a good deal. Think I'll head to Sportsmen's Wearhouse to put my hands on them too
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,606
Re: Swarovski EL 10x40 rangefinder

I've gotten out to over 1900 yards on non-reflective targets with mine. Had it since late last fall and only on one elk hunt, but what a joy to not have to switch units when glassing to find out how far something is. Excellent glass.

Look at page 2 for tripod adapter pics. This is a huge advantage for glassing and ranging with next to zero added weight/bulk and no effect on warranty:

Best deal out there on Swaro EL Range 10x42? - Page 2

Also, am a fan of the very simple, compact, comfortable and lightweigh Butler Creek binoc strap pictured.

Very interesting rangefinder article! Greg Duley has tested these fairly extensively and has a few things to say about reflective/non-reflective targets and how well these units did at the bottom of this thread in referencing the link to a test that is at the top of the thread.

Another good discussion: Which to buy?? - Page 4

Post 48 has a link to and optical review of the EL Ranges and some others that appears very credible: Swarovski EL Range binoculars - first field tests

Here's the the link from post 48 mentioned above: http://www.isnes.is/Frettir%20Birgja...MS%C3%96GN.pdf
__________________
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 288
Re: Swarovski EL 10x40 rangefinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
I've gotten out to over 1900 yards on non-reflective targets with mine. Had it since late last fall and only on one elk hunt, but what a joy to not have to switch units when glassing to find out how far something is. Excellent glass.

Look at page 2 for tripod adapter pics. This is a huge advantage for glassing and ranging with next to zero added weight/bulk and no effect on warranty:

Best deal out there on Swaro EL Range 10x42? - Page 2

Also, am a fan of the very simple, compact, comfortable and lightweigh Butler Creek binoc strap pictured.

Very interesting rangefinder article! Greg Duley has tested these fairly extensively and has a few things to say about reflective/non-reflective targets and how well these units did at the bottom of this thread in referencing the link to a test that is at the top of the thread.

Another good discussion: Which to buy?? - Page 4

Post 48 has a link to and optical review of the EL Ranges and some others that appears very credible: Swarovski EL Range binoculars - first field tests

Here's the the link from post 48 mentioned above: http://www.isnes.is/Frettir%20Birgja...MS%C3%96GN.pdf
How far out will the angle mode work. I've read that the Leica 1600b works out to 1000 yards for distance with angles. Was hoping that if ya are spending this kind of cash on a good pier of equipment, t would do about the same.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,606
Re: Swarovski EL 10x40 rangefinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearrow View Post
How far out will the angle mode work. I've read that the Leica 1600b works out to 1000 yards for distance with angles. Was hoping that if ya are spending this kind of cash on a good pier of equipment, t would do about the same.
I've heard of no limitation on that feature with the EL. Perhaps that limitation exists in the 1600b in combination with the firing solution calculations? In other words, does the unit give a firing solution beyond 1k yds? The EL will give a corrected for 0 angle yardage in one of it's modes, but I don't use that feature of the EL, just the yardage and angle indicator features and wash all the data through Shooter.
__________________
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC