Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

Suppressor question for long range and AR

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NC mountains
Posts: 508
Suppressor question for long range and AR

Hey guys, just wondering if y'all had any thoughts of a suppressor that could work with my 7mmRM long range gun as well as my AR15. It will be a while before I pick this up, but I want to start getting some ideas. My buddy has a suppressor on his 260Rem and I love it. I don't really worry a whole lot about the suppressor being a bit long for the AR if it would also work with the 7mm.
This may not be the right forum for this post, but I didn't know where else to post it.

Oh, and one more question for anyone that may know: is there a maximum lifespan for suppressors? In other words, do those things ever just wear out?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lynchburg, TN
Posts: 737
Re: Suppressor question for long range and AR

Steve
Take a look at the Yankee Hill Phantom suppressor. It's made for a 30 Cal.but can be used for any caliber that diameter or less. The QD mount to fit the threads your rifle is installed and the suppressor screws to it. The adapters look like flash suppressors. I use mine on AR-15s, AR-10 in308 and 260 Rem., Rem. 700 in 308, 7 RM and 300 WM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: pa
Posts: 394
Re: Suppressor question for long range and AR

I too use my YHM Phantom on my AR as well as my .308 and I can shoot it without ear protection , also works well with sub sonic ammo as well , so nothing to worry about here. You will wear out the barrels before the suppressor....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NC mountains
Posts: 508
Re: Suppressor question for long range and AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
Steve
Take a look at the Yankee Hill Phantom suppressor. It's made for a 30 Cal.but can be used for any caliber that diameter or less. The QD mount to fit the threads your rifle is installed and the suppressor screws to it. The adapters look like flash suppressors. I use mine on AR-15s, AR-10 in308 and 260 Rem., Rem. 700 in 308, 7 RM and 300 WM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpro440 View Post
I too use my YHM Phantom on my AR as well as my .308 and I can shoot it without ear protection , also works well with sub sonic ammo as well , so nothing to worry about here. You will wear out the barrels before the suppressor....
Thanks for the replies guys. I will definitely check them out.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NC mountains
Posts: 508
Re: Suppressor question for long range and AR

So for you guys using the suppressor that you mentioned, do you use the quick detach flash hider on your ARs? If so, how do you use it on your bolt gun? I would prefer the screw on version I think. If I went with a screw on version, then how would I attach it to the AR? Can I use one of their muzzle breaks/flash hiders to attach the suppressor and then have my barrel threaded to match the pitch on the suppressor threads?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lynchburg, TN
Posts: 737
Re: Suppressor question for long range and AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
So for you guys using the suppressor that you mentioned, do you use the quick detach flash hider on your ARs? If so, how do you use it on your bolt gun? I would prefer the screw on version I think. If I went with a screw on version, then how would I attach it to the AR? Can I use one of their muzzle breaks/flash hiders to attach the suppressor and then have my barrel threaded to match the pitch on the suppressor threads?
Yes, you use the QD adapter on the ARs. You have to match the threads on the adapter to the threads on the barrel. The adapters are like $75 each. The barrel thread is different on the .223 than on the 6.8 SPC and different still on the 308 and 260. The bolt guns are no different. Different calibers have different thread diameter. Thats why you use the QD adapters. The screw on version would only work on the one caliber/thread size. As far as threading all your barrels the same thread size, that would cost more than the adapter and you would have to have larger diameter barrels to accept the larger thread. Just buy the correct adapters for the guns you want to use the Phantom on.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NC mountains
Posts: 508
Re: Suppressor question for long range and AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
Yes, you use the QD adapter on the ARs. You have to match the threads on the adapter to the threads on the barrel. The adapters are like $75 each. The barrel thread is different on the .223 than on the 6.8 SPC and different still on the 308 and 260. The bolt guns are no different. Different calibers have different thread diameter. Thats why you use the QD adapters. The screw on version would only work on the one caliber/thread size. As far as threading all your barrels the same thread size, that would cost more than the adapter and you would have to have larger diameter barrels to accept the larger thread. Just buy the correct adapters for the guns you want to use the Phantom on.
Ok, now I see. Thank you sir for the clarification.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Suppressor question for long range and AR
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rifle sub sonic, suppressor question WSU Long Range Hunting & Shooting 14 11-11-2014 03:20 PM
Rimfire suppressor or adult air rfie? A breakdown with a question dust Rimfire and Airguns 15 09-12-2012 07:57 PM
How does a suppressor effect long range shooting? Buck44 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 15 04-13-2011 11:38 PM
Long range 300 RUM question? wyobmf Long Range Hunting & Shooting 11 07-07-2005 11:27 PM
Long Range question Alucard Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 5 04-14-2005 09:58 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC