Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Superformance has made a believer out of me!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Silver Member

Superformance has made a believer out of me!

So like most, I was alittle skeptical about the velocity claims people and the company had been making about the superformance line up. After this weekend I can say they weren't lying....At least in my barrel. I have a remington 700 308 win. with a 16 inch barrel and surefire brake on it. The best velocities I could manage were between 2475 and 2525 with the 150-168 grainers. This weekend I ran a box of 150 grain SSTs over the chrono.(3000 fps claimed) Well I didn't get 3000 fps but I wasnt expecting that either. I was just hoping to get to 2600. I ended up with a 10 shot string of 2760! ES=23. And groupings of .75 moa. Needless to say I'm very pleased, especially considering it was only 15 degrees outside. Now if they could just make a superformance load for my 338 RUM
Old 12-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Superformance has made a believer out of me!

Yeah, not sure how they come up with their velocity claims. I have a 204 that loves Hornady Superformance. I chronoed and the speeds were around 3600. They claimed 3900. I even tried to throw the rifle and shoot it the same time to get that speed. LOL.

I bought a few lbs of it and have been playing with 7 08, 204, and 6.5-284. It works in all but the velocity is not there for the 284 and 204. It is accurate though. Next range outing, probably tomorrow, I will take super and run it through the 7 08 at 49 grains. I don't know if this stuff is temp sensitive or not but I have other powders I will compare. Right now 41 grs IMR 4064 and 49 super put the bullet in almost the same hole.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
Next range outing, probably tomorrow, I will take super and run it through the 7 08 at 49 grains. I don't know if this stuff is temp sensitive or not but I have other powders I will compare. Right now 41 grs IMR 4064 and 49 super put the bullet in almost the same hole.
You are just like the rest of us clowns - always trying to improve on something that doesn't need improving
Old 12-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

I am mental for sure. I have not chronoed these yet so I need to see what I have going on. This rifle will get a LR scope eventually so I want to get the DOPE and have it all ready to rock. The reason for more testing is to see what extreme powders I can use too. : ) I really like the extremes for hunting and not worrying about POI shift changes due to variation of velocity.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

Marine, are you talking about the ammo, or the powder?
Old 12-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
I am mental for sure. I have not chronoed these yet so I need to see what I have going on. This rifle will get a LR scope eventually so I want to get the DOPE and have it all ready to rock. The reason for more testing is to see what extreme powders I can use too. : ) I really like the extremes for hunting and not worrying about POI shift changes due to variation of velocity.
I fully understand - been there done that way too many times.
Good luck
Old 12-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Bronze Member

Factory squibs....whats that?