Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Strange point of impact-need advice please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member
Maybe you got bear fever!! LOL, all joking aside, the elevation, coupled with a field position could possibly have been the problem.

I was in the same scenario last year when I missed 3 bears at relatively short distances,like 225, 350, and 450. The thing is, I was shooting pretty steep downhill on every one of them. I usually only got the 1 shot then they would run back in the brush and would not come out. I know I was over shooting them, but just couldn't compensate the right amount for it. It was a real bummer as 2 of them were pretty big bears...

I figured that it was a combination of the elevation change, the downhill angle, and probly the last factor, ME! I sure get some adrenaline going when I see bears, hard to hold real steady sometimes.

Anyways, I hope you or your other party members got a bear. Oregons getting to dang many! BTW, where was your tag for? I had mine for Weneha. It was a pain in the ass getting around up there. My favorite canyon is still snowed in, the one where I missed 3 last year.

Unread 06-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Silver Member
I did get that bear but on the third shot. My tag was for the West Blue Mountains units. We filled two out of the three tags. I had 74 bear sightings during the season and hiked about 100 miles. Bruin.

Last edited by rufous; 06-03-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Unread 06-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member
Bruin, set your gun on sandbags or something that will hold it solid and aim it at something 4-500 yards away. now look through the scope without touching the gun and move your head around and see if the crosshairs move on the target. this is parralax. gotta go to bed now but tomorrow i'll tell ya how to eliminate that situation.
Unread 06-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Silver Member
Dave Wilson, I know what Parallax is but have not looked to see how many inches the reticle will move at 500 yards as I move my eye around in relation to the ocular lens. I know that consistent positioning is important to consistent grouping. It is certainly possible that my positioning while shooting at the bear was not like it normally is while shooting at the gravel pit but my shots at the range this last weekend were from the bench. Not sure why the bullets would have been hitting similarly high at the range from the bench as they were apparently on the bear. I look forward to your parallax tutorial as I am always wanting to learn. Bruin.