Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Strange high speed from Obermeyer barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2006, 05:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Strange high speed from Obermeyer barrel

An action that has been trued and the lugs lapped with custum chambered barrel can shoot a higher pressure load without showing conventional pressure signs.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

I have seen where a realy tight chamber will not show typical pressure signs until its dangerously high. But even in a factory gun I don't think that these loads would be so high that it would cause major pressure problems , and like I stated even the listed book loads were way faster than listed in the book. I know that the case volume varies from one to another but I seriously doubt that the Lapua cases are that much thicker that it would cause perssure so high as to warrent velocities this high especialy at book listed powder charges.

Typicaly I would think that the best indicator of pressure would be the case expansion followed by shinney spots on the case head and primer cratering. I also know that when one experiances velocities higher than what the load books list that your typicaly over the SAMMI spec on pressure which is another quick way that alot of guys guage pressure by.
All of these reasons are why I'm concerned about these velocities. My final test is going to be case life , I'm gonna take one case and fire it by itself and measure the case streching and when the primmer pocket gets loose. I'll be running this test this afternoon. guaging fromother Lapua cased rounds I have loaded for (308,30-06,243) I'm ecpecting to get at least 8 shots before the primmers start to get loose and typicaly 3-4 shots before they need trimming when neck sized.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Gold Member

This isn't THAT big a deal.
Most barrels will drive the 190SMK to 3050 without complaints, add another 75fps for the softer jacket and reduced bearing surface of the berger VLD gets you to 3125... and weve all seen 75fps differance from barrel to barrel, especially barrels known for high velocities!
Your guns shoots good bullets at high velocity, with good accuracy!
Do a little victory dance, give your barrel man, and gunsmith a call of praise, and go kill something! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

Here! Here! I'm with Abinok.

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 04-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

well fellas , I got 11 reload before the primers got loose not falling uout but loose and had to trim every 5 firings.
I even went up in powder charge by two grains in another piece of brass and started to get some shiney spots on the case head. this was a very compressed load and accuracy had fallen off so I'm gonna stick with the 81gr load.
I may try some R-22 with some 200gr accubonds.

Sorry for sounding like a worry wart , just that these velocities seemed awfully high to me without pressure problems and I know that when pressure get high in custom guns it does it in a hurry.
well thanks to all , now I just gotta see if I can get hole of a couple more of Boot's barrels.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Better to be safe than sorry and you were! Now all you have to do is enjoy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Gold Member

What's causing the HS?? Yeah...I got an ID!!

Because 'Boots' Obermeyer is the best barrel maker that has ever krapped betwixt a pair of boot heels! I've won a chitload of matches shooting his barrels in NRA HP and all were 5R barrels!! You're fortunate to have one of his tubes!!