Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Stockys or Boyds...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

Stockys or Boyds...

I have a Stockys thumbhole for my 338 ultra. It is time to change the stock on my 300 ultra and when I looked at Stockys, they only have a couple of crazy colors to choose from. Since I will be hunting with this rifle, I don't want to get out of control.

I noticed Boyds has some nice colors, but the stock itself doesn't compare to stockys. The recoil pad is very thin and hard, with no upgrades available. The stockys has decelerator pad that works awesome.

Are there any other manufatures out there that sell laminate thumbholes? If not, do I go with the "calmest" color from stockeys?

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Stockys or Boyds...

The quality of the actual wood laminating is the most critical factor to be honest sir. That is a THUMP Stick you got there, it may just have enough juice to de-laminate an off-the-shelf typical stock. There are folk out there who make serious quality laminated gun stocks. I do not have them bookmarked as I decided to go with a Manners composite stock for my next build.

Good luck sir,
Gary
Old 02-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

You don't say what brand of rifle, barrel profile, etc so it's a bit hard to give many suggestions. I assUme it's a Remington style action, barrel profile unknown.

In Stocky's standard colors, there are 7 satin finishes available. Almost any of those would be fine for hunting:

http://www.stockysstocks.com/catalog/standardcolors.jpg

I'd look at the Tundra Deluxe or the Long Range Sporter. The difference in contour is minimal. If the color isn't in stock they usually don't have a long backorder time.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I have had three Stocky laminate stocks crack on my customers. I have had one Boyds laminate break down under recoil and I have used several times as many Boyds stocks.

My opinion, if your shooting a high recoiling rifle, I would recommend a quality composite stock, if your shooting a moderate recoiling rifle I would go with the Boyds. If you want a high end stock for a high performance rifle and want a laminate stock, get ahold of Joel Russo. Cost more but you get a hell of alot more as well.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Gold Member

Thanks everyone. I guess I should have given a little more background on this whole thing. I have a laminate thumbhole from stockys for my 375 ultra and my 338 ultra. They are comfortable and manage recoil well. My 338 ultra is a custom gun. The 375 ultra and the 300 ultra are factory standard contour barrels. I had to do some work to get the stockys stock to fit my 338 ultra due to the trigger and barrel contour. These particular stocks are LRS style thumbholes.

I like the stockys stock cause it is comfortable and accurate. I have also heard of Boyds but understand that the recoil pads are not the best. Just wondering if there is anything else out there?

Oh yeah, my 7mm ultra has a H & S stock. The palm swell is huge, but the gun shoots .25 groups at 300. I am not going to mess with it. Maybe I just answerd my own question.........

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Silver Member

Boyd makes a nice stock but plan on changing out the recoil pad upon taking delivery. Its terrible! It might as well just have a butt plate on it.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Gold Member

Is it screwed on the end or is it glued on?