Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

stock rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: stock rifles

Good thing for us lowly factory Winchester, and Remington shooters, that the rifles that ''annoy some folks the most'' have adjustable factory triggers. (not aftermarket) But, I suppose DIY isnt for everyone.
To each thier own.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
Good thing for us lowly factory Winchester, and Remington shooters, that the rifles that ''annoy some folks the most'' have adjustable factory triggers. (not aftermarket) But, I suppose DIY isnt for everyone.
To each thier own.
If the standard remington trigger was decent (which it isn't) then there wouldn't be such a plethora or aftermarket units. Why is it CZ, , tikka, steyr, etc can produce guns with perfectly fine triggers/stocks yet others scrimp out?

The ownership of one rifle over another doesn't make one shooter better than another. My point is that remington (for example) are taking the piss by not fitting a decent trigger. Incidentally, i set all my triggers to 1.5lbs (me, not a gunsmith or someone else).

I own an old Winchester 70 in 30-06 which my father past to me. I recently picked up a new one in the dealers and the differences are huge - the new one looks like it was slapped together in the third-world by comparison.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

Every rifle I have owned until last year was factory less trigger jobs most remmington. I thought it was it was a great compliment to the gun having 2 lb trigger but my 06 went off once putting from safe to fire to eject the chamberd round. Old style action" scary" last year I finished having built my first custom it was fun, exiting and the first time I shot at the 1000 yard gong I hit 5 of 6 in less then 1 moa I'm hooked, but I'm also afraid the next customs will be few and far between. that is unless I can get Obama to send some of his stimulis to me I didn't vote for him so I dought that will happen .
But the new custom was built around a trued 700 and a 1.5 lb jewell trigger @ over $200.00 was worth every penny. the nice thing is like the song goes one piece @ a time it took three years and I have one of three 270 amps in the world that shoots like a dream.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 lefty View Post
Every rifle I have owned until last year was factory less trigger jobs most remmington. I thought it was it was a great compliment to the gun having 2 lb trigger but my 06 went off once putting from safe to fire to eject the chamberd round. Old style action" scary" last year I finished having built my first custom it was fun, exiting and the first time I shot at the 1000 yard gong I hit 5 of 6 in less then 1 moa I'm hooked, but I'm also afraid the next customs will be few and far between. that is unless I can get Obama to send some of his stimulis to me I didn't vote for him so I dought that will happen .
But the new custom was built around a trued 700 and a 1.5 lb jewell trigger @ over $200.00 was worth every penny. the nice thing is like the song goes one piece @ a time it took three years and I have one of three 270 amps in the world that shoots like a dream.
What is a 270 amp? Ive never hered of it. I suppose maybe thats due to only 3 being made, but youve got me curious.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-14-2010, 02:03 AM
Gold Member

All of my rifles are stock. I hope to get a new barrel for my Howa chambered in 300 Dakota one day, but until then it will remain stock.

The Howa has the scope that came with it, the only thing different is the Burris Signature Zee rings I bought when the stock rings failed.
It shoots well enough with my hand-loads, .54moa at 400 yards was my last group.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams

Last edited by justgoto; 07-14-2010 at 02:12 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Bronze Member

My favourite stock rifle - Tikka M65 in 25-06. Only modification is having the barrel screwcut for a moderator. Scope is a swarovski habicht 2-9x42 (30mm tube).

Last edited by scotsgun; 07-14-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Pretty cool lookin rig Scottsgun. How does the can compare to a brake? I here theyre nice to shoot, and the can reduces a simmilar ammount of recoil. Not to mention reduce the noise. Lots of guys shootin next to guys with brakes just pack up and leave so they dont have to put up with the noise and blast from the guy next to them. I know I move a bench or two away from braked rifles. I wish can's were more previlant here. They look kinda cool too