Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

stock rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: stock rifles

Stock rifles are all I own and shoot. Not against a custom rifle or anybody else wanting one, I just don't need one. I shoot 2-3" groups at 500yds with any and all of mine. They wear Leupold and Nikon scopes and I installed aftermarket triggers on the 700P and the first 112BVSS. All four of them have the varmint profile barrels (.820") and weigh from 10-12 lbs.
I love to reload so that helps too. I don't settle for 1" groups and if I can't get a rifle to shoot half that with load development it has to go. JohnnyK.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Bronze Member

I'm with Johnnyk on this, I can't remember a 700 or 600 Remington that I reloaded for that wouldn't shoot under a inch an I have had and shot alot of them, but I am going to have a custom made one of these days in fact I'm trying to thin some stuff down now to make room for one.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

All stock rifles here, and I also shoot factory ammo. Here in MI most shots are under 200 yards except for one field we shoot over that is 465 yards, and for that the Wby 7mm Mag works well. I've just sent my first rifle out to be bedded and have a couple I'm going to do myself. Other than trigger tweaks and one stock swap (plastic to B&C Medalist done by a previous owner) everything is as-factory here as well. There is only one range anywhere near me that even goes over 200 yards, so long range here is all relativle.

Having said that I just picked up a lightly used Remington Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag that is quite the accurate rifle. For a factory rifle and for the price - wow.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Silver Member

I am feelin you on feeling like a pauper on a kings mountain. All of my rifles are stock. The furthest thing I have from stock is a husqvarna crow grade that is really a fairly inexpensive rifle with a really good action and barrel. It is bedded and rechambered to 6.5-284. My other 6.5-284 is the Savage 111LRH I just got. aside from that they are all, including the savage, bone stock. I have put a brake on my .300 mag but I won it in a raffle a long time ago so that is all it cost me. My rifles all shoot very well but none are just real special. In stock rifles for a guy on a budget I would suggest a Marlin XL7 in 25-06, that thing is a shooter right out of the box. It isn't mine but I have it to play with any time I want. My father has some customs, so I have experience with custom rifles but haven't been able to afford one myself. Nothing wrong with most mass manufactured rifles now days. besides you can always get a rifle and have it rebarreled or restocked or both down the road. Until you can afford it "run what you brung!" not everyone can afford the biggest baddest or best, I don't think anyone here or elsewhere will look down on you for that. I got the Savage LRH because it has all of the features I would want on a custom in a stock, somewhat affordable platform, and being a savage you can easily replace barrels and stocks with custom fairly inexpensive down the road. Don't feel bad though, there are others here with you.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfvickers View Post
I am feelin you on feeling like a pauper on a kings mountain. All of my rifles are stock. The furthest thing I have from stock is a husqvarna crow grade that is really a fairly inexpensive rifle with a really good action and barrel. It is bedded and rechambered to 6.5-284. My other 6.5-284 is the Savage 111LRH I just got. aside from that they are all, including the savage, bone stock. I have put a brake on my .300 mag but I won it in a raffle a long time ago so that is all it cost me. My rifles all shoot very well but none are just real special. In stock rifles for a guy on a budget I would suggest a Marlin XL7 in 25-06, that thing is a shooter right out of the box. It isn't mine but I have it to play with any time I want. My father has some customs, so I have experience with custom rifles but haven't been able to afford one myself. Nothing wrong with most mass manufactured rifles now days. besides you can always get a rifle and have it rebarreled or restocked or both down the road. Until you can afford it "run what you brung!" not everyone can afford the biggest baddest or best, I don't think anyone here or elsewhere will look down on you for that. I got the Savage LRH because it has all of the features I would want on a custom in a stock, somewhat affordable platform, and being a savage you can easily replace barrels and stocks with custom fairly inexpensive down the road. Don't feel bad though, there are others here with you.
Ill second that. Cfvickers brought up a good point. I havent met anyone here on L/R/H yet that has looked down thier nose at me for shooting factory rifles. Actually quite the opposite. Ive recived alot of help and information on tips, and tricks to tweak my handloads to bring out even more accuracy. Not everyone here has a custom. But even the folks that do own customs are always willing to help someone better thier skills with whatever they have.
Like I said in my earlier post, alot of these guys are mentors, who are more than polite, and helpfull. For me, seeing what they can achieve, realy builds a fire under your butt to better yourself, and try to attain a simmilar level of skill and equipment someday. Because of the way this site is run, and the integredy of its members, L/R/H is a top notch place to learn how to hone your skills no matter what you shoot.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

This is one thing I like about most of the reloading forums I am on, they don't snub their nose at those who don't have the best stuff available. On the fly fishing forums it isn't so nice. Most of those guys think if you are not fishing with a sage, winston, or some other form of really expensive rod you are obviously inexperienced and don't have anything to add. I have one Sage rod, and it is the singular rod that does not have competition and you can't get anything comparable without buying a sage. But I have some very nice rods, and they look down on me because my rods ARE all customs that I build myself and it is actually less expensive this way, but still not cheap. Takes a long time to talk yourself into spending close to 300.00 on a one ounce stick of graphite. But it is rewarding to catch that first fish on it. Just a comparison, shooters are a different breed and that is why I love it.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Bronze Member

What annoys me most is buying a stock rifle which then requires an aftermarket trigger, stock, etc before being fit for purpose which to me is hunting. Therefore i just don't buy such rifles - it's for this reason that you won't find a remington or late model winchester in my collection.

About 90% of my deer stalking and vermin control is carried out with completely stock rifles that have not been changed from the way they left the factory, in any way. My hunting rifles include:

Tikka M65 in 25-06
Kimber 84M in .243
Steyr SSG69 in 308win
BSA Monarch in .270

I don't mind messing around with target orientated rifles, but i expect my hunting rifles to do the job every time without fuss or requiring special handling.