Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

stock rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

stock rifles

just curious if anybody uses a stock rifle for hunting.i feel like a pauper in the kings castle
Old 07-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

Re: stock rifles

While I have some custom rifles, my favorite for hunting the whitetails in VA is my old Marlin MR-7 in 30-06. Bone stock and very accurate and comfortably lightweight and easy to traverse the thicker woods. This is the rifle model that Marlin came out with in mid 90's. Not the newer ones which I here are also pretty good out of the box.

Took 4 last year with longest shot around 250 yards. Hit it right where I aimed. Dropped the 6 point without a step. Remington Core Lokt. I don't usually use that ammo but I used what my brother had already on hand.

Worked well.

Many stock rifles shoot very acceptably.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.T. View Post
just curious if anybody uses a stock rifle for hunting.i feel like a pauper in the kings castle
So far all of mine are bone stock, Model-70's, minus trigger jobs, Limbsaver Recoil padds, mounts,rings, and scopes, slings and bipods. Hand loading has helped dial in the accuracy to acceptable sub moa levels for L/R.
I plan on building a ''semi custom'' out of my Model-70, 300wby, and getting a new pipe on my Model-70, 30-06.
Who knows what Im gonna do with my Browning A-Bolt 338 win mag. I havent even shot it yet. Right now Im so in love with my Model-70 270wsm that its all I want to shoot. In fact I like the wsm family of cartriges so much, I want a 300wsm just like my 270. I think if I got one they would be the only 2 rifles Id hunt with. The rest would just hang out in the gun cabnit, and give me a warm fuzzy feeling everytime I opened the door. Kinda the teddy bear effect. Gives you comfort to know you have em' even if you dont use em'.
But ya I kinda get the same feeling when I see some of the equipment used here on L/R/H. Not to mention seeing what they can do with the right trigger man. Verry impressive for sure. The good news is that seeing these customs really builds a fire under your butt to get it done and build one for yourself so you can practice and increase your effective range, and personal ability beyond what it can be with most factory rifles. Either way it keeps pushing you to better yourself with what youve got, in the hopes that someday youll be able to reach the level to post pics and threads like those of Broz's recent posts and some others who have the skill, knowledge, equipment, and ability to make it all come togather. I love this place

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

until recently all that I had were totally stock, even used factory ammo but just
done my leg work and found ammo that shot well in my gun. I have taken several deer at over 400 and a bull elk at 640 using this and a burris ballistic plex scope.
Just dont short cut developing your shooting skills.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

i wont cut my training out,just curious.ive been hunting for a long time.i was just wondering.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

I have 20 plus Remington's 700's. They are all factory's except, stocks are replaced with HS and a few Bell & Carlson TI stocks with Leupolds. Hand load for all. Some shoot awesome and some shoot great. Only had 1 factory 270 WSM that had bad rifling, Remington just replaced barreled action (fluted) for $137.00. I have Remington's 700's stainless from 223 to 338 ultramag. I think my next gun will be a custom, but I have to put a roof on my house. There just went my custom build 338 edge.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:45 AM
Silver Member

Stock hunting rifles? Well, sort of stock. Probably tuned up stock rifles would be more accurate. They are all in off the shelf calibers. .17 Remington, .22 Hornet, .223Rem, .22-250 Rem, .243 Win., 7mm Rem. Mag., .30-06 Spr.

All have scopes on them and have been glass pillar bedded. All but the .17rem. have been inspected with a bore scope and recrowned if that was indicated. One (.22-250 LRPV) has been set back and rechambered because the throat was shot out of it. One (Model 10 Savage .243) has been rebarreled because the stock barrel was just plain awful. One, Model 70 .30-06) has had a recoil pad added.

I don't have any custom built exotic calibers from hign end gunsmiths. There isn't much need for rifles like that in the PA woods where I hunt - I struggle to find a shot longer than 200 yards where I hunt deer. If I was shooting from mountain side to mountain side across valleys I'd probably have to get a new rifle, but for here, I'm good to go with more or less stock rifles.

Fitch