Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Stock Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 06:04 AM

Stock Design

I am shooting a Remington 722 in Cal .244 Remington (6mm) with 75 gr. V MAX bullets I am thinking of restocking this rifle and would like to put a stock on it that handles the minimal recoil better so that it would aid in the ability to witness the bullet hits. What stock design might that be ?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member

A heavy one !! No but realy their is no way that you cankeep a gun from recoiling completely even a 40lb 22-250 is gonna move some its just life.
But a gun that has a bit more weight toward the front like with heavy barrels and longer foredns that are wide and heavy will allow you to controle the recoil better. The actual desgine of the stock will have little to do with your ability to spot hits as long as the stock fits you well.
I assume that your gun has a heavy barrel? if not then add some weight to the stock to help hold it still.

Thebest way to be able to spot your hits is with a brake , the brake will wipe out alot of that recoil and jump from the gun. Shooting 140gr bullet from my 260 at close to 2900fps I can spot my hits at 300yds , probably 200 if I could train my eye to stay focused through the noise of the gun going off and its due to a heavy gun and great brake.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Cappi,

I'm a stickler for spotting my shot also. I was able to do it with a 270 Win in a Fajen thumbhole stock. The stock was straighter than a pool cue. Recoil was straight back.

When I moved into long range hunting I wanted the same capability with the 270 Allen Mag and 338 Rum. I shoot 170 gr bullets in the 270 and 300 SMKs in the 338. I can pretty much spot all shots with the Allen Mag and when the setup is 'just right' the same goes for the 338, especially the looonnnggg shots with the RUM.

My thinking was carried over a bit from my bench rest days so I looked at several bench rest designs. I didn't like the McMillan A-5 for two reasons; 1) Everybody and their brother had one and 2) I didn't like the grip prefering the trigger pull feel being straight back to the thumb of the thumb hole. The A-5 does that also but it isn't what I prefer for a grip.

The stocks on both rifles were sporter designs which didn't cut the mustard.

My idea was line of bore parallel with all bearing surfaces, forearm, bottom of butt and cheek weld. Plus the top of the butt stock being the proper height for the scope to get a very light cheek weld.

I searched the web and found Shehane Tracker stocks to be quite attractive. Target Stocks NightForce Scopes Nightforce NXS Rifle Scopes : Custom Rifle Stocks for Benchrest Shooting

At that site I saw what is called the Modified Lee Six Thumbhole Tracker and decided on that design in a NY minute. The pluses are the straight flat surfaces, the 2" longer fore end (looks better with the 30" bbl and moves the bipod ahead that two inches. Another plus is the ability to shoot left or right handed. Who knows when that will be needed, but it will and is needed from time to time.

So with all of this in mind I made my own or, to be truthful, modified the Bell and Carlson carbalite sporter stock as I wanted to maintain the pillar/skim bedding that Kirby did. Also this was the quickest way that I could develop the pattern for copies of the stock for other rifles which will be modified for their specific use.

This is what I ended up with and it works very well.

Before:

After:

Gussied up a bit:
Old 01-29-2008, 09:41 PM

stock design

Hey I got to thank you guys. All the info was helpfull. I went to the Shehane "Tracker stocks" and WILL be buying one of his designs.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:55 AM
Gold Member

I've stocked a few guns and my first question for anyone is this:

What is your intended application?

Is this a bench gun, a bag gun, a tac rifle, position shooting, prone?

That would need to be answered first.

There are stocks out there though that do provide better tracking from a bag or bi pod so that one may observe a bullets flight through the scope all the way to the target.

Thumbholes work but I personally don't advocate them in anything but a single shot. It's just a kick in the sack when trying to manipulate a bolt quickly on a repeater. That's my opinion anyways.

-Always nice to have when spending an afternoon in a prairie dog town. . .

Last edited by NesikaChad; 01-30-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesikaChad View Post
What is your intended application?

Is this a bench gun, a bag gun, a tac rifle, position shooting, prone?
I'd be interested in your thoughts, I'm open to new ideas, anytime.

My intended use is sniping critters from a hide, prone. All of my rifles are single shot except for the lonesome 222 Rem yote, call/walk-stalk gun.

I can't see the vapor trail as the rifles jitter a bit but if I control my blink the target is in the scope the whole time.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:52 PM

Stock Design

The more specific information that you need is this . I want to use the Hornady 75gr. VMAX or occasionally the 85 gr VMAX bullets in a Remington 6mm rifle. One rifle is a Remington 722 in cal. .244 with 26 " barrel . I also have a Rem.700 BDL in cal. 6mm with a 24 " bull barrel. The primary use for either of these rifles is prarie dog or woodchuck hunting. The goal is to observe the hit. I would restock either rifle to redirect the energy given off by the 75 or 85 grain 6 MMs if that is part of the solution.I am also willing to put a muzzle brake on the barrel if anyone can recommend one that works ,based on EXPERIENCE. Also I kind of like the way that i can hold on to the thumbhole stocks and am not too concerned about how fast i can get off a second shot at the" usually" now running chuck. PS. All shots will be taken from a portable bench or attached bi-pod from the ground.

Last edited by cappi; 01-30-2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: additional info to answer question asked.