I'm a stickler for spotting my shot also. I was able to do it with a 270 Win in a Fajen thumbhole stock. The stock was straighter than a pool cue. Recoil was straight back.
When I moved into long range hunting I wanted the same capability with the 270 Allen Mag and 338 Rum. I shoot 170 gr bullets in the 270 and 300 SMKs in the 338. I can pretty much spot all shots with the Allen Mag and when the setup is 'just right' the same goes for the 338, especially the looonnnggg shots with the RUM.
My thinking was carried over a bit from my bench rest days so I looked at several bench rest designs. I didn't like the McMillan A-5 for two reasons; 1) Everybody and their brother had one and 2) I didn't like the grip prefering the trigger pull feel being straight back to the thumb of the thumb hole. The A-5 does that also but it isn't what I prefer for a grip.
The stocks on both rifles were sporter designs which didn't cut the mustard.
My idea was line of bore parallel with all bearing surfaces, forearm, bottom of butt and cheek weld. Plus the top of the butt stock being the proper height for the scope to get a very light cheek weld.
I searched the web and found Shehane Tracker stocks to be quite attractive. » Target Stocks NightForce Scopes Nightforce NXS Rifle Scopes : Custom Rifle Stocks for Benchrest Shooting
At that site I saw what is called the Modified Lee Six Thumbhole Tracker and decided on that design in a NY minute. The pluses are the straight flat surfaces, the 2" longer fore end (looks better with the 30" bbl and moves the bipod ahead that two inches. Another plus is the ability to shoot left or right handed. Who knows when that will be needed, but it will and is needed from time to time.
So with all of this in mind I made my own or, to be truthful, modified the Bell and Carlson carbalite sporter stock as I wanted to maintain the pillar/skim bedding that Kirby did. Also this was the quickest way that I could develop the pattern for copies of the stock for other rifles which will be modified for their specific use.
This is what I ended up with and it works very well.
Gussied up a bit: