Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which stock for 338AX carry rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Which stock for 338AX carry rifle?

Hello all,

I stole Len's picture below, because I'm in the process of making the same choice, but for a 338AX. I want the rifle to be as light as reasonably possible (30" barrel and brake, mind you) for carrying and possible quick shots in the trees, but want to stretch out well beyond 1K prone. This'll have a BAT HRPIC action that's being made and will be shipped to Kirby.

At various times, I've waffled between all three of the below stocks. Right now, I'm leaning towards #2 as it seems like the best stock for prone shooting. My concern is the lack of adjustable cheek rest.

Problem is that without having the rifle in hand, even though #2 (all of them) obviously has a high comb, is it high enough? And, would I buy a $475 stock and then have to add a adjustable cheekpiece to it, such as Shawn Carlock sells.

Or, is there a lighter stock from a different manufacturer (possbily cheaper as well) that has a lower comb that I would just put Shawn's adjustable cheek rest on?

I'm getting hung up on whether the comb on these is high enough as is or am I going to have to add an adjustable cheekpiece to get the fit I want.

If I need to add an adjustable cheekpiece, which I suspect I will to get the fit I want, then what is the most appropriate stock that will work well as a carry gun and shoot well beyound 1K?

Still go with the Manner's T2 anyway?

Input and experience wanted...

Thanks all,

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which stock for 338AX carry rifle?

I don't think any of them will be high enough especially if you are using a 50-56mm objective.

The T2 is available with the Terry Cross adjustable cheek piece $$$. I don't think Shawn's kit would be a good candidate for this one (might not be wide enough).

The T3 which would be my choice for a hunting piece and would more than likely accept the DE cheek piece although further investigation would be required.

My brother has a 300 AX on a Lawton with the Manners GAT and I still need a higher cheek piece to be comfortable looking through the big NF.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks, Magman.

I should've mentioned that I know the T2 has the adj. cheekpiece option, it's just that it makes the stock quite a bit heavier, so I'd be much more likely to go for something like what Carlock makes and sells.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

jmden
Don't second guess yourself. Go with the T2 and put on Shawn's DE cheek peice. Might want to send a PM to TMR. I think he has this setup on his 338 EDGE twins.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Might want to send a PM to TMR. I think he has this setup on his 338 EDGE twins.
I'll be darned, he does and they appear to fit well.

Family Portrait
Old 03-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Dang, TMR. That is one impressive looking 'family portrait'!

Thanks for the info trublue and Magman. The T2 with Shawn's adjustable cheekpiece sure looks liek the best option for weight and functionality at this point.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 PM
SPONSOR

The T2 with Shawn's cheekpiece works perfect with this style of rifle....That being said, I also have a 7mm WSM that I built for my wife that uses the MCS-T stock (#3 in the picture). It has a Sendero contour barrel and low rings...50mm scope. The comb on her rifle is very comfortable and allows repeatable consistent cheek weld. If you go with a bigger barrel like we used on our Edge's, then you will most like need a cheekpiece to be consistent. We learned this from Shawn on our first shooting trip together. After putting the cheekpieces on one night at Shawn's house, the next day was a whole different world. No more wondering, "why did that happen" when we missed high or low.

I am a vertical grip junkie, so the cheekpiece goes on all my personal sticks. The DE style doesn't add the weight like the Terry Cross version. Our stocks with the 90% carbon shell weigh 2.5lbs. The Adjustable style with the 90% carbon shell weigh close to 4lbs.