Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Stock 300 RUM with heavy bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: Stock 300 RUM with heavy bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxfreak003 View Post
Awesome, Thanks guys.

That's pretty cool, I didn't know you could do that.
I was actually thinking of getting a custom reamer for the 375 RUM I am going to build. I don't really know anything about reamers though. I was going to modify the cartridge slightly (similar to a tejas), Do you know if there's any way I could do the same adjustment on the 300 with the same reamer?

I'm sorry I do not have all the answers on reamers myself. I brought a loaded round to my smith and told him this is what I wanted in my new 300 RUM. We measured, and measured, and reseated, and measured....... Finally we were able to get my coal right were I wanted it...right at 4.0. He built the reamer specs around the measurements we were able to log that day. I think the factory 300 RUM reamer is 3.60 coal. I believe you can customize your reamer specs to whatever you want. There are many others on this forum who are very knowledgable on reamers. I talked to MontanaRifleman with help on mine.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:15 AM
Platinum Member

I had Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge make my 300 Rum reamer. I trust his judgement as he has made my friend and I sixteen reamers, this one being number seventeen. Many of our reamers were specifically made to our specifications. After talking to Dave he said he had a reamer design that would work without any need to send in a dummy round or changing anything. It is a no turn neck with a 1 degree throat angle. Many of PT&G reamers use a 1 degree 30 min throat angle. I was surprised to hear that the 300 Rum doesn't use it but instead it uses 1 degree. He said through feedback from other shooters they discovered that this throat angle works better than the usual 1 degree 30 min.

The rifle I use has a Wyatt's mag box and is setup as a repeater. OAL is just under 3.770". I never bothered to figure out the jump to the lands. Based on using the hybrids in other rifles I was pretty certain that the 230 gr would respond as other hybrids have done with a variety of seating depths and it didn't disappoint.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:35 PM

Thanks! I actually just looked at the website for Pacific Tool and Gauge, and it looks like they might even have a reamer for what I was thinking I would have to order custom.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxfreak003 View Post
Thanks! I actually just looked at the website for Pacific Tool and Gauge, and it looks like they might even have a reamer for what I was thinking I would have to order custom.
I just had a 300 RUM built using one of Dave Kiff's reamers. It was done from the 300 Ultra Match. I have a Weatherby mag box that is 3.820 on the inside and when I seat the 230 hybrids to barely fit the mag they are about .010 off the lands. However they are also about .100 into the case. I was originally looking at the 215's.

I had the reamer throat lengthened to .200 If I was going to do it again for the 230's I would make it about .280. I would also narrow the neck a little as it presently has about .008 clearance with unturned necks. If you're interested in more details I can send you the print #

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 10-28-2013 at 02:48 PM.