Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Stiller Actions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

Stiller Actions?

Ok so I am putting together 300 Win Mag.

1) Hart Fluted Rem. Varm. Contour (.83) 1:10 Twist 26" Finish
2)Timney Trigger
3) Score High Tactical Break
4) Haven't decided Stock yet.
5)Stiller Predator Action?

So far I am thinking a Stiller Predator action. Comes pre-cut for a Wyatt Internal Mag so that I can load those 210-230gr chunks way out there and set it just off the lands, but I am just a little skeptical. I have heard Stillers are solid, but just not quite top tier. That is acceptable as I can get a LA Predator with a recoil lug and rail for $930 shipped, but what worries me is that you have to use their rails, which do not have recoil lugs, and they use 6-48 screws, not 8-40. Does anyone have experience with these actions, especially on heavier calibers? Can anyone put these doubts to rest and tell me these actions are worth it? Or should I get out now, and go buy a Defiance Deviant Action for $1400 shipped? I would prefer not to spend the extra $500 for a .0001 MOA accuracy increase if you know what I mean... Unless they really are that much better? Thanks
Old 04-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Stiller Actions?

If the absolute top tier actions are rated 100....Then a Stiller is a 98 1/2 or 99.

Id forget the Timney trigger and go with a jewell.

Ive read enough times on this BB where guys brag about their rails being "pinned" etc...etc.. and its a bunch of crap! If the rail isnt "installed" ( can be just placed on the action and clamped even) align drilled and a press fit pin installed...then the pin idea for a scope rail is a lot of ********......if you will excuse my "french"
Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

I have a new still Predator LA in 300 win going together as we speak. I will tell you I have no issues with their rails at all. I plan to skim bed it on, I do all rails, and they come with two dowel pins drilled and ready to install along with the 4 6x48 screws. I think this will be a very solid platform for any chambering. I have no worries at all.

The recoil lug is also pinned, but is of factory thickness. Again I see no issues as it is made of good material and if bedded correctly should be fine.

These come with very nice machining, a perfectly fitted M16 extractor, a nice clean looking side bolt release, and are trued and ready to go.

All for under a grand, what's not to love?

Jeff
Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

I appreciate you guys giving prompt responses. You put my doubt to rest. Drop my Timney and grab a Jewell huh? Its my impressions that Jewell's are great for BR competition, but as soon as they get a little sand, dirt, or grit in there they like to fail. I have heard Timney's deal with the environment a little better, and this rifle will be environmentally abused a little.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley52 View Post
I appreciate you guys giving prompt responses. You put my doubt to rest. Drop my Timney and grab a Jewell huh? Its my impressions that Jewell's are great for BR competition, but as soon as they get a little sand, dirt, or grit in there they like to fail. I have heard Timney's deal with the environment a little better, and this rifle will be environmentally abused a little.
I use , install and set up many of both. What you heard is exactly true. However the Jewels do have a better break. Give the jewel a good flushing with cig. lighter fluid and air dry to keep her working well. But let dirt or cleaning solution get in her and she will fail. The Timney is a very nice trigger as well. But it is not a Jewel.

Jeff
Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

How does a Timney stack up against a tuned X-mark pro trigger? I am relatively new to the world of long range shooting, so I have dozens of questions and am completely open to those with more experiences opinions.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley52 View Post
How does a Timney stack up against a tuned X-mark pro trigger? I am relatively new to the world of long range shooting, so I have dozens of questions and am completely open to those with more experiences opinions.
I have gave up trying to get an X-Mark to meet my expectations. I will take a Timney any day first.

Jeff