Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Still cant pick a caliber!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Gold Member
Re: Still cant pick a caliber!

DANIEL, you can make a nice weight estimation if you go to Lilja´s web page and enter his barrel contour program. Assuming 5 lbs for the stock, action and brake, a fluted nº 7 contour 27 " should weigh in at around 4,5 lbs, so you´d be around those 10 lbs total weight ( no mounts , rings, bipods included).

Unread 04-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Silver Member

7mm rem mag shooting 168vld @3050fps is nice, less recoil vs amount of energy gained at 1000 yards. Still over 1000lb of energy at sea level, it increases as you move up towards thinner air (higher altitude).
Unread 04-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

I will throw in a couple suggestions

1. if you have to open the bolt face, don't bother. Sell that bolt for $100 or more and buy a Pacific Tool and Guage, Dave Kiff bolt already to go and you can buy it oversized to fit your action exactly and even fluted. Better fit, smoother, better extractor etc. That is no brainer money and quality wise.

2. 300 WSM would be my choice of calibers. you can load the WSM long due to your long action. 30 cal has the widest choice of bullets from the new 210 JLK LB BT that are .680 BC, available right here in the US from full time guy, to the 168 Barnes TTSX etc. Guys are shooting the WSM to one mile in tactical comps.

3. WSM barrel life is 2-4 times anything else mentioned and you will want to practice I assume. My first WSM barrel had 2300 rds thru it, IBS shooter of the year just won with 4000 rds in his WSM. I have seen and had problems building guns for one bullet and when it does not work or is no longer available you are SOL. We have had posts right here on that.

4. WSM no expensive custom dies ($300-500) for wildcat. However, you can buy a Redding body bump die ($25) send it to Jim Carstenson at JLC Precision and he will make a custom honed FL size die with neck bushings for $80. Two week turnaround. Go to and look him up under the Tools link. Buy a Forester micro seater ($65) and you are ready to go.

5. Whatever caliber you use, go to Dave Kiff and get your own reamer ordered. $150 and you have it to rechamber everytime and no differences in chamber dimensions.
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

If this is a hunting rifle you forgot to ask the single most important fact. What will you be hunting with it? You see animals don't read ballistic charts so all that is just hogwash untill you see various animals reactions to being hit all kinda ways with different rifles. There is a lot more to it than just reading ballistic charts.
Predictions are difficult, especially when they involve the future
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

I would imagine he made up his mind about 4 years ago or shortly there after since the thread started in 2005. Or, maybe, he just really indecisive.
"I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid." - Terry Bradshaw