Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Is Stevens 200 long action available in LARGE shank?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

Re: Is Stevens 200 long action available in LARGE shank?

So rem is about = to SS savage then, anyways? NOW I understand what everybody was trying to say (after it's now late to change my decision, of course!). I would have been where I am now, if only I had looked harder to find a 7RUM barrel for my small shank savage long action. But it would have cost me less, and probably could have had the long heavy barrel that I would have liked also, for less than I'm into now. But that's right on par with how my luck usually goes, anyways!

I'm not looking forward to the sandpaper feeling on the rem, that's for sure. I do plan to clean and let cool down before every shot, for 1st couple dozen, anyways. I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that it will help keep the accuracy tight. I don't think I'll be very happy if it's outside of the numbers that you stated.

Maybe rem discontinued the non-stainless for reasons of harder to machine, while making less $ on them due to lower selling price?
Old 08-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

That's alright, in 6-700 rounds you can send it off, have it trued and lapped, have a nice 30" Lilja or Broughton barrel put on, a rifle basix or jewell trigger, and a HS or Manners stock and have a real nice rig. Rem 700s are always atleast good donors for a custom, because everybody and there brother makes parts for them and works on them. Yeah a 30" CBI savage varmint taper 9 twist rum barrel with a Vias brake would have been under 450.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

Between the 640 (including transfer fee) that the rem cost, and 2X190, for both stocks, I'm in for 1,020. And I still only have factory length/contour barrels. That wasn't really my intent, but it's the reality that I'll have to work with for a while now.

As my luck typically pans out, I think I now see yet one more snag, before I can finally start shooting what is going to be my main rig. It's an issue with the stock, which I haven't even received yet. But at this point, nobody can talk me out of the UV stock. I absolutely prefer heavyweights, when it comes to ALL of my "hand tools". When I've been questioned about heavy tools taking more out of me after 8 hours of using them, the only thing that comes to mind is, "I don't seem to notice it". For me, heavy just has the right "feel". And it also has the feeling of "stability", when it comes to taking the shot.

I'm not totally sure if it IS a problem or not though. I didn't realize that the SPS had a hinged floor plate, until recently looking THIS over:

Remington 7MM Rem Ultra Mag Special Purpose Synthetic w/26" Stainless Barre The Model 700 SPS stainless (special purpose synthetic) offers everything you love about the legendary model 700. From the rock solid receiver design to the famous three rings of steel. The Model 700 SPS stainless features an improved, ergonomically designed synthetic stock for better handling and enhanced overall functionality. The bead blasted 416 stainless steel barreled action comes clean without sights and is drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Standard amenities include the revolutionary SuperCell recoil pad, a hinged floor plate magazine, and swivel studs. SPECIFICATIONS: Mfg Item Num: 84300 Category: FIREARMS - RIFLES Action :Bolt Action Caliber :7 MM Remington Ultra Mag Barrel Length :26" Capacity :3 + 1 Trigger :X-Mark Pro Safety :Two Position Length :46 1/2" Weight :7 5/8 lbs Stock :Black Synthetic Finish :Stainless

Does that imply that it uses a detachable magazine?

According to what is listed on their site, the choate ultimate varmint stock that is on it's way isn't compatible with a detachable mag. The fix doesn't appear to be all that big of a deal though. It should be just a matter of changing the trigger guard assembly to one that doesn't have the hinged plate attached to it, right?

What I am not clear on at this point though, is if the hinged floor plate does indeed mean that it uses a detachable mag. It WOULD seem to, I think. But I need a definite yes or no, so I can get the part ordered, if that IS the case. Thanks.

-Steve

P.S. - I'm also curious as to what the "famous 3 rings of steel" actually means (this WILL be my 1st 700).
Old 08-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

The three rings of steel is a BS safety, sounds good kinda selling point that a lot of firing arms companies use, remington seems to want to brag about it. It just means the cartridge is surrounded by the chamber in the barrel (1 ring) the bolt head (ring 2) and the reciever itself (ring 3) same as savage or post 64 model 70 winchester that's not controlled round feed.
SPS is the cheaper BDL of rem 700s the hinged floor plate is just that, you load the rounds through the top of the reciever into the internal mag, but if need be you push the release on the trigger guard to release the floor plate and it dumps the cartridges out making it easy to unload fast. It is NOT a detachable magizine. The choate stock will work, but personally for almost the same weight, better function, and much better looks the Bell and Carlson Medalist A2 is a much nicer stock as is the HS precision M24 vertical.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

OK, thanks for the info. It looks like I'm GTG for now.

I haven't checked out the stocks you mentioned yet, but at least I know there IS somewhere to go on a heavyweight, if/when I do decide to step up. My next step-up priority from here would have to be in a barrel though. Then maybe a better quality scope.....