Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Starting a new build. Need input.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Starting a new build. Need input.

Bump
Old 02-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Bronze Member

Bump
Old 02-14-2013, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member

Call me if ya like. I type too slow to enjoy email conversations. I'll be glad to share my experience. Number's in the sig line.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

Is your action a RUM or H&H length action? If it is the standard mag length action it will not function as a repeater for you. . .

If you want a 375 caliber I'd go 375 Ruger as it fits a standard mag box and it holds more powder and is thus faster. If you want a long range 375 bullet with a high BC I believe you'll have a hard time fitting them in a mag box and they should be fairly pricy, though I have not experience with the 375 class.

The 375 RUM may be a better choice than the H&H but I'm not really up on the 375's so take that for what it's worth.

Were I you I would seriously consider dropping into the 338 caliber. There are lots of suitable high BC long range bullets on the market. If your action is a standard magnum length I'd suggest a 338x375 Ruger as it matches 340 Wby ballistics, brass is commonly available and it's relatively cheap.

If you indeed have a RUM or H&H length action I'd say go 338 Edge or Lapua. The Lapua is a factory round and dies are cheaper but the brass is expensive. They are ballistic equals in practical terms. Were you wanting somethign even cheaper but still in the same class I'd suggest a 338 RUM.

Since it's a Savage I'd recommend doing the rebarrel your self. McGowan builds good tube for under $300 and made to your specs. I'd set it in a Stockade stock and call it a build.

God bless,

Adam