Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Stainless Steel Bore Brushes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: Stainless Steel Bore Brushes

I'll second everybody here and as a smith give my opinion- RUN like hell from them!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Bronze or nylon only..........
Old 08-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have seen more and more people using SS bore brushes cleaning rifles at the range as of late.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see a lot of people doing a lot of different things, at a public shooting range. Walk the line and take it all in. Some are knowledgeable, and some just bought the gun, and the cleaning equipment at Walmart. Not a good indicator; and there are generally other clues, like a rolled up gun case as a front rest, or two boxes of factory ammo on the bench, not retrieving the brass, lots of clues.

Good hunting. LB

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a private range, and the guy is shooting a custom rifle, Norma brass, custom benchrest, etc. He takes a couple hours just to shoot two groups. I count him as an eccentric fanatic. But his brother is a shadetree gunsmith I believe, and he is the one who told him to use the brushes. I put more trust in Kirby Allen, even if I have never met him, than I would in any wannabe at the range. Thats why I started the thread. I knew he and other smart/experienced shooters would chime in.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Silver Member

The key thing is that while stainless steel is NOT particularly hard, it's advantage is that it resists heat better than chrome moly, due to the nickle content. It isn't as hard as other steels, so it does gaul (especially against another stainless) and a bore brush of any alloy stainless, even 18/8 would be harder than bronze, brass or nylon.

Maybe you could say that the solvent would prevent gauling and scratches, but I doubt it?

Aside from the possible damage, and work hardening and subsequent brittleness, I question the ability of that type of springy design to get into the rifling grooves? That alone is plenty of reason to be cautious.

I love all things stainless, thermos bottles, watches, pipe fittings and brushes; just not bore brushes.

Good hunting. LB
Old 08-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I love all things stainless, thermos bottles, watches, pipe fittings and brushes; just not bore brushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that line. Pretty much sums it up for me.