Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Stainless Steel Bore Brushes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Gold Member

Stainless Steel Bore Brushes

I have seen more and more people using SS bore brushes cleaning rifles at the range as of late. Is it safe to use SS bore brushes?

Has anyone used a product called Sweetshooter? It is made in Ft. Worth, TX.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Stainless Steel Bore Brushes

You may get a few opinions on this but mine is that stainless is harmfull to a propperly maintained barrel. Bronze or plastic for me. The only stainless tool that I would use for cleaning a bore is that spiral tornado looking brush used for cleaning plastic and lead fouling from a shotgun (smooth) bore.

Just one mans opinion.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Never use a stainless bore brush on a stainless barrel and personally I would just say never use then ever.

There is no need and they are very hard on barrels, especially stainless barrels.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

let's try this another way.every object has a certain hardness.the closer in hardness an object is to another,the easier it will scratch it.if the object is the same hardness,it probably will scratch it. stainless STEEL brush,,,,,STEEL barrel. make any sense? this is why cleaning jags are made of brass,aluminum,plastic or anything that's much softer than steel.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
I have seen more and more people using SS bore brushes cleaning rifles at the range as of late.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see a lot of people doing a lot of different things, at a public shooting range. Walk the line and take it all in. Some are knowledgeable, and some just bought the gun, and the cleaning equipment at Walmart. Not a good indicator; and there are generally other clues, like a rolled up gun case as a front rest, or two boxes of factory ammo on the bench, not retrieving the brass, lots of clues.

Good hunting. LB
Old 08-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

Dave you are correct and you reminded me of another thing. Similar metals that contact each other will "gall" or smear. It is similar to what happens to a drill bit that slips in the drill chuck when making a hole. The drill is softer than the chuck jaws but they are both steel. The drill bit will have balled up material on it. This is why bushings are made from brass or zinc or babbit material when a steel shaft is spinning in them. If the bushings were also steel they would destroy themselves in short order even though the steel bushing is harder and tougher than the brass ones.

I imagine that this could also happen on a microscopic scale with a ss brush and a steel bore.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

gall,smear,scratch,it's all the same thing.