Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Stainless Steel Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Bronze Member

Stainless Steel Barrels

I have read that stainless steel barrels might lead to greater velocity since they have less friction than carbon steel. Is this true? I was also wondering if there are any barrel makers that make barrels which have stainless steel on the inside of the barrel and carbon steel on the outside

"The .30-06 is never a mistake" - Colonel Townsend Whelen
Old 02-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Stainless Steel Barrels

QUOTE94Winchester;I have read that stainless steel barrels might lead to greater velocity since they have less friction than carbon steel.

where did you read this? sounds like horse hockey.

I was also wondering if there are any barrel makers that make barrels which have stainless steel on the inside of the barrel and carbon steel on the outside[/QUOTE]

i don't think you'll find anything like that. carbon wraps on the outside of steel liners is common.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

Don't believe anything from THAT source again..
Old 02-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

When one looks at the attributes of stainless steel verses 4000 series carbon steel, you have to wonder which K-Mart the guy got his engineering degree from! Stainless steel is well known for it's increased friction due to a low porosity in the granular structure. In otherwords it dosn't retain lubrecants like regular generic steel or cast iron does. Just the nature of the beast. What it does have going for it is the ability to withstand a higher heat range (now some folks are begining to doubt wether or not 400 series stainless actuall does). It's also a well know fact that you can machine carbon steel more accurately than stainless as well as get a slightly better micro finish. I do know for a fact that stainless will never work as easy as carbon steel, and this may well lead to the accuracey factoid.

Strengthwise a piece of pretreat 4350 is stronger than a similar sized piece of 416 S.S. Has a much higher tensil & shear strength factor as well. But a steel with a high nickel and chrome content (that's all stainless steel is by the way) will in theory be much more resistent to corrosion (don't believe that statement). A little for sure, but the statement is more often than not overstated. If a piece of steel will harden, it will rust! Nature of the beast. Stainless steel is often proported to be able to withstand enormmass amounts of heat; or will it? Actually it will if it's a mid 300 series steel (330 or 349 comes to mind). A piece of 400 series stainless will take a little more heat than generic carbon steel, but also with a loss of it's granular structure (how much is an ongoing argument). What stainless cannot do is handle extreme cold. It actually can become dangerous in some enviorments. Personally I see little difference between the two
gary
Old 02-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Winchester View Post
I have read that stainless steel barrels might lead to greater velocity since they have less friction than carbon steel. Is this true? I was also wondering if there are any barrel makers that make barrels which have stainless steel on the inside of the barrel and carbon steel on the outside

Fit, Finnish and twist rates are the key to more velocity potential.

Stainless is more difficult to machine so more labor is required in order to meet quality
standards, hence the price difference.

The problem with some chrome molly barrels is that less care is taken with some of them
and a poor barrel is more common.

Quality is often controlled by price. and not the material.

Either material can be very accurate and have good velocities as long as the quality is there.

The fact that a stainless barrel is normally always lapped and a lot of carbon barrels are not
could lead to that conclusion but it is not a good comparison.

If you were to lap a carbon steel barrel and not lap the stainless barrel the outcome would
be just the opposite.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Gold Member

+1 with J E Custom.
Although I prefer to machine carbon or moly steels, I use Stainless Bbls. And only high grade Bbls. at that. Last few years have been using BERGARA because of the attention to detail (fit/finish/lapping)
Old 02-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
What stainless cannot do is handle extreme cold. It actually can become dangerous in some enviorments.
What do you consider "extreme cold"? What do you mean by "dangerous in some environments"?

From the FAQ section on Dan Lilja's web site:

"Q. Can stainless steel barrels be safely fired in sub zero temperatures? Yes they certainly can be. There is a myth going around that stainless steel alloys used in rifle barrels loose their strength in sub zero temperatures. There is no truth to that. We have made many thousands of barrels that have been fired safely in below zero temperatures as have all of the other custom barrel makers as well as the major arms manufacturers. This is an urban legend that should be chilled"

But from Krieger's web site:

"Stainless Steel.....It is inadvisable to use stainless steel in very cold temperatures, i.e.below 0 Degrees F, as stainless loses fatigue resistance in very cold weather."

I respect both barrel makers as tops in the products they produce. And I would consider both of them very knowledgeable about the materials they use. So I really struggle to reconcile this point.

--gr8whyt

Last edited by gr8whyt; 02-03-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: typos