Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Stainless or fluted blued?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Stainless or fluted blued?

Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I'm not so sure that a fluted barrel of the same diameter is any stiffer, but a fluted barrel "of the same weight" is. i.e., a fluted #5 may weigh in about the same as a non-fluted #4 but will be stiffer. A fluted barrel also dissipates heat a little better. The stainless will outlast the chrome moly by a little. The best bet might be a chrome moly, fluted (lighter weight) with melonite treatment which will outlast either. There is "potential" for losing accuracy by fluting if it isn't done properly but I wouldn't be too concerned about that when it is done by any of the good barrel makers.....Rich
Yup, agree

Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Heavier barrels are stiffer and tend to be more stable and consistent. A non-fluted barrel will be slightly heavier than than a fluted one of the same contour and a little stiffer. If you really like the flutes then get one. I would just go with the standard non-fluted,especially on the lighter barrles.
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams