Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Stainless or fluted blued?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Stainless or fluted blued?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I'm not so sure that a fluted barrel of the same diameter is any stiffer, but a fluted barrel "of the same weight" is. i.e., a fluted #5 may weigh in about the same as a non-fluted #4 but will be stiffer. A fluted barrel also dissipates heat a little better. The stainless will outlast the chrome moly by a little. The best bet might be a chrome moly, fluted (lighter weight) with melonite treatment which will outlast either. There is "potential" for losing accuracy by fluting if it isn't done properly but I wouldn't be too concerned about that when it is done by any of the good barrel makers.....Rich
Yup, agree

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Heavier barrels are stiffer and tend to be more stable and consistent. A non-fluted barrel will be slightly heavier than than a fluted one of the same contour and a little stiffer. If you really like the flutes then get one. I would just go with the standard non-fluted,especially on the lighter barrles.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams