Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Stainless or fluted blued?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 PM

Stainless or fluted blued?

I've decided on a Cooper repeater in 6.5x284 with synthetic stock. My only decision is stainless or blued fluted barrel.
Both barrels have the same diameter and contour.
Is there any benefit to a non-fluted barrel? Is a non-fluted barrel more accurate?

Thank!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Stainless or fluted blued?

The benefit is lighter rifle weight. They can be accurate. And they look neat. I dunno who makes Cooper barrels, but most of them shoot very well. Fluted barrels must be stress relieved before and after fluting.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Bronze Member

All pictures I've seen of Coopers the flutes seem to center on the stock line. This leaves a wide gap between the stock and the barrel. I don't like them that way but prefer the raised portion of the barrel between the flutes to center on the stock line. This is just a personel preference thing. Anyone know why Cooper does this? I recently ordered a new all stainless Jackson Hunter and specified a non-fluted barrel for this very reason.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the info and opinions. I'm leaning toward the Jackson hunter with stainless not fluted. Now I just need to find one or wait 6-10 months for an order.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Bronze Member

Fluting has no real accuracy benefit but it sure looks cool.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

Heavier barrels are stiffer and tend to be more stable and consistent. A non-fluted barrel will be slightly heavier than than a fluted one of the same contour and a little stiffer. If you really like the flutes then get one. I would just go with the standard non-fluted,especially on the lighter barrles.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not so sure that a fluted barrel of the same diameter is any stiffer, but a fluted barrel "of the same weight" is. i.e., a fluted #5 may weigh in about the same as a non-fluted #4 but will be stiffer. A fluted barrel also dissipates heat a little better. The stainless will outlast the chrome moly by a little. The best bet might be a chrome moly, fluted (lighter weight) with melonite treatment which will outlast either. There is "potential" for losing accuracy by fluting if it isn't done properly but I wouldn't be too concerned about that when it is done by any of the good barrel makers.....Rich