Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

SST and Balistic Tips on deer. A good choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: SST and Balistic Tips on deer. A good choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deermaster View Post
I have heard three different things from three experienced whitetail hunters.

One said SST and Ballistic Tips will explode when they hit any bone such as a whitetails shoulder, causing a nasty flesh wound but not going deep enough to kill. He said this happened with 180 gr Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips.

The second one said SST and Ballistic Tips will NOT expand UNLESS they hit solid bone. He claims he shot a buck at a decent range (about 380 yds), three times. He said the first two did not expand, as they went through ribs and it was not enough to cause them to expand. He then hit the shoulder on the third shot and the deer dropped like a rock. This was a .270 shooting 130 gr factory (I believe he said Federal) loads.

The third, and from what I gather here, is the majority of most hunters. He says they do just fine on whitetails, shoulder hits or rib/lung hits. The deer tend to pile up on the spot.

My question is have any of you experienced what the first two hunters experienced? Also, when using Ballistic Tips, should I aim for the shoulders, or back just a bit so it hits ribs and lungs? This will be one whitetails up to 200 lbs or so. Thanks for any info.
I bought two boxes of them when they first came out to try in my 270 mag. The bullets blew up going thru card board targets!! Went home and pulled the loads apart only to find everything spot on. Called Hornaday to ask them what was wrong (thinking I had a bad batch of bullets). Turned out that they were not made for the velocities I was driving them at, and were actually designed for speeds less than 3100 fps (I was way past that). But them same bullets would work very well at longer distances (300 to 400 yards), but forget short range shots.
gary
Old 01-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Silver Member

Can't speak for the BTs but I have seen 3 deer shot with SSTs and all 3 were clean kills DRT. 2 of 3 were complete penetrations (140grn 6.5mm) and the one recovered bullet (165gr .308) broke both shoulders on a good sized mule deer buck at 75 yards and retained better than half it's original weight. None of these bullets were being driven at warp speed(<3000fps), I recon if you are driving them at wrap speeds you may want to pick a more substantial bullet like a Barnes or Nosler Partition. At longer ranges you may be OK as the bullet will have shed some velocity by the time it gets out there.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40mojo View Post
Can't speak for the BTs but I have seen 3 deer shot with SSTs and all 3 were clean kills DRT. 2 of 3 were complete penetrations (140grn 6.5mm) and the one recovered bullet (165gr .308) broke both shoulders on a good sized mule deer buck at 75 yards and retained better than half it's original weight. None of these bullets were being driven at warp speed(<3000fps), I recon if you are driving them at wrap speeds you may want to pick a more substantial bullet like a Barnes or Nosler Partition. At longer ranges you may be OK as the bullet will have shed some velocity by the time it gets out there.
I was right ontop of 3400 fps using large doses of of 4831.
gary
Old 01-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Silver Member

I have shot five deer with the sat. I was using a 270 win in a weatherby vanguard. The damage these bullets have done on deer inside 100 ids is devestating. I also used the same bullets in my rem auto in a 270 but the damage was not the same. I wonder the twist and barrel length have something to do with it
Old 01-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke007 View Post
I have shot five deer with the sat. I was using a 270 win in a weatherby vanguard. The damage these bullets have done on deer inside 100 ids is devestating. I also used the same bullets in my rem auto in a 270 but the damage was not the same. I wonder the twist and barrel length have something to do with it
Spin rate (twist) does affect wound channel to some degree as does velocity, but you wouldn't think it would be THAT evident unless there was a great difference in velocity and/or twist?.........Rich
Old 01-04-2011, 01:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I was right ontop of 3400 fps using large doses of of 4831.
gary
At shorter ranges, <300 you are driving them beyond their design limits.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Bronze Member

I'm surprised your bullets didn't blow up as they came out of the barrel at that velocity.

One reason I like Barnes bullets in my 7mm Mag is that they don't blow up on close range shots (which occasionally happens even for me) and they still expand well at long range and low velocity. I do like a blood trail. I'm not good enough at tracking in NM's rocky soil that I can track them once they stop running unless there is blood. Exit wounds make blood trails. Entrance wounds seldom bleed.