Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Spin Drift As Well As Other Answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

I have speedy's wind chart/bullet impact chart taped to my pedestal rest and use it for teaching others a lot. But in the real world of BR, seldom do you have a truly horizontal wind to the ground. There is almost always some component of vertical wind or thermal rise and it can be severe enough to overpower any horizontal wind. For instance, when shooting in a 3 oclock wind, it should push the bullet left and slightly up. But if the vertical component is half of the horizontal component, the bullet will most likely go left and lower. But it still helps to have a wind chart with you for those days when the wind does what it is supposed to!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
I have speedy's wind chart/bullet impact chart taped to my pedestal rest and use it for teaching others a lot. But in the real world of BR, seldom do you have a truly horizontal wind to the ground. There is almost always some component of vertical wind or thermal rise and it can be severe enough to overpower any horizontal wind. For instance, when shooting in a 3 oclock wind, it should push the bullet left and slightly up. But if the vertical component is half of the horizontal component, the bullet will most likely go left and lower. But it still helps to have a wind chart with you for those days when the wind does what it is supposed to!
That is why you learn to read mirage and watch conditions very closely. You are always dealing with what you describe to a certain extent every time you shoot. Some ranges and some days it is worse than others but it is always present and must be dealt with however, by correctly reading the conditions you can pretty much mitigate what you are talking about. Speedy has taught me a lot about this specific part of the game and it helps me quite a bit.

When I sit down to shoot a relay I do not even think about my equipment because I have already set the bags, rest, tracking etc. -------- only the condition.......... The other thing I learned from Speedy is what flag to watch..... He used to make quite a production of setting up his flags and a lot of that was for the benefit of his competition (mental games) and he is a short-range guy so he could place his own flags whereas in the 1k game we do not have that ability.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

It isnt the wind that troubles me so much......it is the darn let ups:mad: Good info here. I had something similar that some rimfire guys had given me....but alas it made its way into my reloading room never to be seen again. I sent you a PM and would appreciate any info that you do not mind passing along.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

Many of you have sent me requests for the files but did not provide an email addy..... Need that because the board function to send an email will not allow for file attachment.

I have responded to everyone so far I think so if you did not get an email from me check youe PM box or just send me another request.

Also if anyone wants to discuss just PM me a number and I will tell you what I know which is not much but I do know enough to be dangerous!! LOL!!!

DWM

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 02-20-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
That is why you learn to read mirage and watch conditions very closely. You are always dealing with what you describe to a certain extent every time you shoot. Some ranges and some days it is worse than others but it is always present and must be dealt with however, by correctly reading the conditions you can pretty much mitigate what you are talking about. .

The mirage boards can tell you about boils and downdrafts and help quite a bit. But then all of a sudden, a cloud covers the sun and mirage disappears but the downdrafts still remain. That is when you go to your sighter target and keep your eyes on the flags.

Then your learning curve starts all over when you go to different parts of the country because mirage is NOT the same everywhere. Of course, we could spend days explaining this phenomenon! Thank goodness for a limitless sighter target!
Pull it
Dump it

Old 02-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
Thank goodness for a limitless sighter target!

I only wish I had that ability shooting 1K in IBS as that is not an option!!
Old 02-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
I only wish I had that ability shooting 1K in IBS as that is not an option!!
Yes, 1k sighter is not limitless but that's also kind of what makes it fun. You have to take a sighter, see where it goes, then "man up" as my buddy says and start the group on the record.
Pull it
Dump it