Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Spin Drift As Well As Other Answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Spin Drift As Well As Other Answers

Hope this will help those who need it. If you understand this and use this it will help you win(thought twice about posting this but most BR guys won't see it lol)---not just at a match but in the field as well. Helps me every time I pull the trigger.. My Smith who is also a HOF shooter put this together. One of many neat tools he has put together to help folks out.. Don't bother calling the Shop as SG&Y is no more---he is now teaching the art at Trinidad.

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 02-19-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

Good Post!

It'll take a bit of studying but it looks like there is a pattern there. Not nearly what I expected but maybe that's that's to be expected..........from this falla's ole knoggin'.

Roy
Old 02-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Good Post!

It'll take a bit of studying but it looks like there is a pattern there. Not nearly what I expected but maybe that's that's to be expected..........from this falla's ole knoggin'.

Roy
Roy---if you will spend time to learn the relationships and develop the techniques you will be a much better shooter. Using this helped me win a 1k State Championship for score in 2006 when the winds were gusting between 15 and 30 mph. Actually set a range record that day for closest to the bull. As Speedy will tell you and I am a BIG BELIEVER in this as well ”the wind is your friend” and separates the true riflemen from the wannabes IMHO. When you are taking a shot albeit in the field or on the bench for all of the marbles giving the excuse that the wind was blowing and I did not know how to compensate correctly is no excuse.

Personally I always hope for windy conditions at a match because it gives me an advantage over the others. Do get funny looks as most of the time I am the last one shooting in a relay and most just can’t figure it out. In the field it is much the same---over time you learn to judge tree, grass, mirage movement etc. practice makes perfect in this endeavor. I have traded rifles with my buddies before and out shot them in the wind using a factory rifle to prove the point.

Hope this helps you-----I have the files if you want me to email them. Have some others on vertical stringing that are pretty helpful but Speedy has those already on BR Central.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Silver Member

Yep Boss, spin drift is really a non-issue because it is so easy to fix, I hate the wind. It takes a long time to master it. How long? I dont know cause I aint gotter dun yet.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Now throw in multipule wind directions and it just makes you want to stay home and work in the shop!!!

Thanks for posting this information. I do believe its the first time I have seen it in diagram form like this, much easier to understand.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!
Thanks!

That was great info for a beginner like my self.

The humidity issue will be of great help for me here along the coast. We can go from 98% to 20% humidity from one day to the next. The temp can change as much too. They usually follow each other most of the time....90 degrees and the humidity will be in the high 90's and the next day following a front be 40 degrees and 20% humidity...then you have the gusty winds...:(

OH! OMT-what the heck is the deal with the "speedy" pic...I am lost as to what all that is showing me???????????????
Old 02-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry the source document is only so clear and the scan made it worse! I have emailed everyone that sent me a PM the files plus a couple of extra ones as of right now. Anyone else let me know.

Kind of funny once it is all laid out how easy it sounds--------it is not because it still takes practice and then more practice lol..

Send me a PM with your number and I will explain but the post is not really clear enough to see the detail but all it is is a representation that illustrates that 1MOA is 1/60th of 1 degree.

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 02-19-2008 at 06:09 PM.